PDA

View Full Version : ATPL modular - how long did it take you?

favourite_gas
8th Aug 2005, 13:18
Currently thinking about the integrated versus modular route. It would be interesting to hear how long it took people to get from zero (or PPL) to ATPL via the modular route. Obviously the numbers will vary greatly, but it would be informative to get an average.

1800-how'smyflying
8th Aug 2005, 16:57
hey gas,

I started ground school begining of January this year and just finished up on my 4th sitting in July, so took about 6 months for me.

silverknapper
8th Aug 2005, 16:59
0-fATPL in 17 months. Could have been quicker but wasn't in a rush and had a few hols in between modules.

Send Clowns
8th Aug 2005, 18:04
Depends entirely on what you want and how much work you are prepared to put in. Minimum is about a year. I only missed that due to illness and winter weather, both of which were unrelated to the course structure!

monkeyboy
8th Aug 2005, 20:52
3 and a half years from PPL to fATPL using the modular route. I worked fulltime during my PPL and hour building but then gave up work to do the ATPLS, CPL, IR & MCC as it got too intense.

Good Luck with whichever way you choose!

MB :D

Charlie Zulu
9th Aug 2005, 01:15
Eight years so far.

Just sat the module one ATPL exams, just waiting for the results to arrive on the door mat next Friday. :D

However I did start down the route by obtaining my CAA PPL(A) and enjoying the licence for around four years before being given a kick up the backside by a couple of airline pilot friends to get my commercials started.

Since then I've obtained the FAA CPL/IR SE ME, CAA PPL/IMC/Multi, 600 hours and hopefully a pass at the first lot of ATPL exams so I haven't really wasted the first few years.

Working fulltime during all of this, just obtaining extended periods away from work for some of courses thanks to a very understanding manager who would like to fly himself.

However this has cost a lot more money than it would have otherwise have taken to complete the courses if I had done one after the other.

Hoping to have the module two exams completed by February / March of next year with the JAA CPL/IR conversion with MCC and maybe a 737 type rating (only maybe though) a couple of months afterwards.

So it will hopefully have taken me 9 to 10 years to complete all the licences and obtain a first job in the airline/corporate/air taxi industry but I have enjoyed myself immensely during this time...

ATP_Al
9th Aug 2005, 09:50
I did all the commercial modules full time, back to back and it took 11 months from starting the groundschool to finishing my MCC.

Al

Permafrost_ATPL
11th Aug 2005, 18:10
I'm almost done and it's taken about 14 months, doing the modular way with modules back to back. It can be done in 11 months if you attend full time ground school. I did distance learning, which takes a bit longer since you don't have instructors flicking pages and saying "they never ask about that" ;-)