PDA

View Full Version : FAA Commercial - legal in UK?

steven121
5th Aug 2005, 10:14
Could anyone tell me if its legal to fly a N-reg a/c for commercial operations in the UK on an FAA commercial license? If anyone has any knowledge of this area it would be most useful, cheers!

Farrell
5th Aug 2005, 10:17
I would have thought yes.....or i'm spending thousands of dollars here for nothing!! :uhoh:

youngskywalker
5th Aug 2005, 11:27
As far as I understand it, no you can't.

You can operate an 'N' reg corporate jet etc... but they tend to be private operations and not commercial. You can't just buy an 'N' reg aircraft and start charging the public for commercial flights.

The choices you have with an FAA commercial licence are:

Work in the States for a commercial operator.
Apply to an airline that accepts an ICAO licence. (no European airline will accept FAA-at present)
Fly 'N' reg corporate aircraft on private operations.

Very good and useful licence but very restricted where you can use it in Europe. I don't know what you think your going to get with it Farrel but no British or French commercial operator will look at you.

I'm sure somebody will correct me though!

:rolleyes:

porridge
5th Aug 2005, 13:58
Youngskywalkers is correct - the FAA rating on it's own is not much good to you. A FAA certificate with the JAA license now that's a different case; that could be quite useful.

Farrell
9th Aug 2005, 11:49
I will be flying an N reg corporate jet, based in the UK.

B2N2
9th Aug 2005, 16:12
As far as I know, YES you can.
The "Commercial " part in CPL means that you get paid for your services, not necessarily that you work for a Commercial Operator or Charter company.
If you can find a company in the UK operating N-registered airplanes, you can fly for them and get paid.
Operating what is known in the US as a part 135 (charter) Ops in the UK with N-registered airplanes is not OK.
But companies operating eg jets for their own use fall under a different set of rules.
The hard part might be if they have a mix of N- regs and G-regs and might require both FAA and JAA CPL.
Good luck.
:ok:

steven121
17th Aug 2005, 22:40
Thanks for sharing the info everyone, seems an FAA CPL on an N-reg is legal but with restrictions imposed. Take it easy!

waterpau
19th Aug 2005, 11:05
Youngskywalker - you mention that one option is to apply to an airline that accepts ICAO licences, and that no European airlines currently do this.

Any idea which airlines (worldwide) do accept ICAO licences?

I've been turned down twice by the CAA for a class 1 medical in the last 8 years for the level of correction in my otherwise 20/20 eyesight, but stumbled across the FAA requirements recently. I got an FAA class 1 recently and am looking at my options. Other than resigning myself to having to fly in the States, it would be good to know that an FAA licence would be valid elsewhere in the world.

Best wishes,

waterpau

youngskywalker
19th Aug 2005, 12:44
First of all I am certainly no expert on this, however my understanding is this:

The FAA ATP is recognised by ICAO.

If you check some of the Pilot requirements in the job section of Flight you will notice that some airlines ask for ICAO ATPL, usually these are airlines anywhere but in Europe, ie, Cathay, Emirates, Etihad , China, Air Atlanta etc etc.

Now the big problem of course is getting one of these jobs, usually these companies will have plenty of cv's from very experienced big jet drivers. But I'm sure anything is possible if you are determined, and if like me the JAA medical and licence is beyond you then this may be your only option.

My main reason for getting the FAA CPL was for my own personal satisfaction and achievment, if I can get work from it in the future then that is a bonus. 'N' reg' corporate aircraft within Europe is for me my best bet at the moment, and fortunately I have some contacts and offers within this field.

Something else worth remembering, roughly 70% of all the worlds aircraft are 'N' registered and plenty more will accept the FAA licence. It is indeed the most widly recognised and accepted licence in the world. Europe is after all, a small place!

I'm sure some people will be better able to advise you or correct some of what I have said, but if I can be of any help then feel free to pm me.

Good luck.

YS

englishal
19th Aug 2005, 13:17
Any idea which airlines (worldwide) do accept ICAO licences?
Saw an ad in Flight International the other day for Cathay pilots. They accept either JAA ATPL or ICAO ATPL (i.e. FAA ATP) and a Class 1 medical (JAA / FAA). Based out of Hong Kong initially, which room to move throughout the world......

You might need 1000 hrs ME time though.....