PDA

View Full Version : Oz boy's and girl's at CX

shnee
4th Aug 2005, 10:12
G'day all,
Just a quick question for you all. Why is working at cathay better then working for the red rat. Do the crew get on a lot better? is the atmosphere and conditions more relaxed?
thank's for your input.

regards,

Shnee:)

404 Titan
4th Aug 2005, 10:37
As most of the Aussies that fly for CX haven’t worked for QF, that is a very difficult question to answer. For me the reality is that there isn’t any Australian airline that pays what I am worth. Frankly I am glad I am not working in Australia anymore because the industry down there is going down the toilet fast. Once you leave Aus and smell the roses abroad, there is no going back.

shnee
5th Aug 2005, 00:51
Thanks 404.
That was the feeling that I have been getting. So out of 10 working for CX would get a what?

thanks in advance,

Shnee.

WaldoPepper
6th Aug 2005, 08:31
I haven't worked for QF directly, but I did for one of it's regionals. Looking back, I'm glad they never took me. I'd give working for CX a 9/10.

The grass is not always greener on the other side, just a lot less Bindi's !

victor two
8th Aug 2005, 22:55
404 Titan,

You are absolutely correct. There would only be a handful of airlines left on the planet who can afford to pay enough for your exceptionally brilliant skills. Nobody else could do it quite as well as you. You are so good. Geez I wish I was you. Can I tell people that I know you? Can I be your friend?

Pull your over inflated head in !

ftrplt
9th Aug 2005, 02:43
Once you leave Aus and smell the roses abroad, there is no going back.

there is a better description for the smell of HK than roses

OhForSure
9th Aug 2005, 07:48
there is a better description for the smell of HK than roses

HaHaHa... too good.

However, I think the simple reality is that you take the best of your options at the time. It isn't rocket science to compile a list of your preferred employers. If QF say no, then perhaps CX is an option?

While one person might elect to stay in Oz cause he prefers to live there over Hong Kong, another may elect to work abroad and gain additional benefits and pay. To each his own really.

One of the most important things is the morale at the company. In this case it seems to be good at both.

Personally, I'd love a job at either! QF, CX, NZ, DJ, JQ... if any of these unfortunate carriers offers me a job, I'll jump.:E

404 Titan
9th Aug 2005, 09:33
victor two

You crack me up. You sound like you are bitter and twisted that you have sold yourself short. For the record I don’t think I am any better than anyone else in this game. What I do believe in is a fair days pay for a fair days work. I looked at all the options in Aus and voted with my feet. For me to come back and do the same thing for QF would involve me taking a 60% pay cut after tax and benefits. To come back and work for DJ it would be closer to 70% and I haven’t even taken into account the cost of paying for my own B737 endorsement. If you are truly happy with your lot in life good on you, but don’t go around stabbing people in the back because they say it isn’t enough and strive for more.

victor two
9th Aug 2005, 23:28
Titan,

I couldn't give a rat's fundamental orifice what you earn or don't earn or why you are there and not somewhere else, however saying stuff like " there isn't an airline in Australia who can afford to pay me what I'm worth" is just asking to have the p*ss taken out of you.

Unless you really are something ultra special (and not just in your head) then you are just like the other 2000 button pushing, knob twirling pilots in Cathay and probably just like the 2000 in qantas and the 2000 in BA etc etc. I'm glad you are happy with your coin but keep the ego in check big fella.

nudger
10th Aug 2005, 00:10
Well they couldn't pay me what I was worth either so they fired me. Low and behold the came to their senses and hired me back albeit on a salary closer to what I was worth!

404 Titan
10th Aug 2005, 00:32
victor two

And with an attitude like that, you’re the exact reason why the Australian aviation environment is f**ked. Instead of criticizing those that obviously earn more than you, why don’t you try and fix the industry you have so obviously stuffed by prostituting yourself. Coming on the Fragrant Harbour forum and accusing CX pilots that we earn too much money isn’t going to win you any friends here sunshine and probably very little on the D&G forum either. :mad:

PS: If you read the original question “Why is working at Cathay better then working for the red rat?” I gave the answer why I am working where I am. Nothing more and nothing less except I directed my answer to why I am not working for any Australian Airline instead of just QF. There are other reasons as well. On a professional level the flying is more stimulating and satisfying up here than flying around Aus with it’s very benign flying conditions and environment which would bore the sh*t out of me. :zzz:

tamalai
10th Aug 2005, 01:02
Geez Mates, what is it with you ozzie boys ??? Normally all we hear is,"It's the Friggin' Tax, mate, I mean we're payin' tax on the tax, then they tax that too".....................................

so all join in with the chorus now

The English, the English, the English are best'I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest..............................

who cares how much you get paid..............go throw another mate on the barbie and chill out a bit !!!!:ok:

MrSnork
10th Aug 2005, 05:47
404 Titan

Wow, it must be wonderful to be you. I wish I could command such respect, admiration, and Dough from my employer. I simply fly the jet and cash the check.

Snork out

404 Titan
10th Aug 2005, 06:57
MrSnork

Yep it's pretty good being me. I wouldn't change it for the world.
I wish I could command such respect, admiration, and Dough from my employer.
If you stood up for yourself and did more than just fly the jet and cash your pay cheque you too could have the respect, admiration and the dough I have.
:E ;) :ok:

victor two
10th Aug 2005, 23:53
404 Titan,

You might want to get some soothing cream onto whatever rash is causing you to be so angry and sensitive old son. Firstly - I never came on this forum and backstabbed anyone, I never once said that any Cathay pilot is overpaid, I never attacked Cathay in any way, I have no chip on my shoulder about expat pilots, I have no chip on my shoulder about australian pay and conditions so get that straight.

What I DID do, was to make note of the fact that you seem to have an overly pompous attitude towards yourself and what you believe you are really worth. A casual and accurate observation. You did the rest of the damage yourself.

After reading your first post about there being "nobody in Australia who can afford to pay me what I'm worth" I merely thought you were full of yourself. Now, after watching you throw all your toys out of the cot, I just think you are a spoiled little upstart who can't take a stir.

Maybe you need to come back to oz for a holiday mate? Qantas holidays have some great packages out at the moment. Want the number?

404 Titan
11th Aug 2005, 01:02
victor two
After reading your first post about there being "nobody in Australia who can afford to pay me what I'm worth" I merely thought you were full of yourself. Now, after watching you throw all your toys out of the cot, I just think you are a spoiled little upstart who can't take a stir.
What I DID do, was to make note of the fact that you seem to have an overly pompous attitude towards yourself and what you believe you are really worth. A casual and accurate observation. You did the rest of the damage yourself.
Maybe it was me doing the stirring with you? Did you ever think that? If you haven’t figured it out by now that the answer was a generalisation that airline pilots in Australia aren’t paid what they are worth, then I’m sorry for offending you. I think you are grossly undervalued by your employer. I and many of the guys/girls up here did something about it and said no thanks and looked for a job else where.

You may think I am spoiled but you couldn’t be further from the truth. I have done it the hard way. All my training in the mid eighties was completely self funded. I worked a full time job went to uni at night and learnt to fly on the weekends. Once I had my licence I then went pounding on doors like so many others until I got that first job in one of the more remote places of Australia. I spent the next 10 years flying in GA in both FNQ and PNG. During the last few years of GA I was offered a couple of positions with regional airlines, namely Flight West and Impulse. I knocked both of them back because the pay was woefully inadequate and I also wasn’t prepared to pay for my endorsement or be bonded for the next two years. I was currently earning considerably more flying where I was albeit piston twins.
I never once said that any Cathay pilot is overpaid, I never attacked Cathay in any way, I have no chip on my shoulder about expat pilots
Unless you really are something ultra special (and not just in your head) then you are just like the other 2000 button pushing, knob twirling pilots in Cathay and probably just like the 2000 in qantas and the 2000 in BA etc etc.
While you didn’t say it directly, one can read through this statement and take offence to it just like you have with mine.
Maybe you need to come back to oz for a holiday mate? Qantas holidays have some great packages out at the moment. Want the number?
I do live in Australia just under half the year. Have a very nice house on Sydney’s Northern beaches thankyou just two minutes walk from the beach. :ok:

victor two
11th Aug 2005, 02:29
Geez, I feel like I'm sitting in the witness stand of the high court in Brussels undergoing cross examination on the constitution of the European Union.

OK OK if it means you pipe down - Whatever you think I said, I did. You are right, I am wrong, I am ashamed of myself, you deserve to be paid more money but noone else can possibly afford you, this is all true, how could I have strayed off the path of sanity so far, I will resign from my job effective immediately and take out a full page colour ad in the New York Times with my own photograph in it and with the words "I'm a mindles idiot and 404 Titan was soooo right" underneath it, quote, un-quote has the jury reached a decision so say all of us blah blah blah blah ......

MrSnork
11th Aug 2005, 03:40

"If you stood up for yourself and did more than just fly the jet and cash your pay cheque you too could have the respect, admiration and the dough I have. "

Interesting statement 404. Assuming you are Cathay, and still flying, just how much standing up to management have you done? I believe the last Cathay pilots that had the b*lls to do that had theirs cut off. If you are not a 49er perhaps you should pull that inflated head of yours in a little. If you are then you have my utmost respect and appologies.

Snork out

404 Titan
11th Aug 2005, 04:24
MrSnork

I usually don’t talk politics on this forum because it isn’t appropriate on an open forum. No I wasn’t one of the 49er’s but I could have been. I have been in the AOA ever since I joined CX and have supported the 49er’s since both financially and politically. I was not in favour of the company offer to the 49er’s and the AOA and I was one of the ones who voted against the offer. Mind you I also draw the line at the breakaway union that was formed by some in the AOA and some of the 49er’s. I feel like I have been stabbed in the back by them just like I feel betrayed by those that have deserted the AOA when we needed them. While I don’t necessarily agree with everything the AOA does, I live with the fact that the majority rule. Whether the path taken in the last couple of years is the right one only time will tell. I am open to be convinced otherwise.

flightleader
11th Aug 2005, 16:14
God! Here comes the Aussie pilots' "homosexual" behavior again!!:oh:

victor two
11th Aug 2005, 23:51
Mmmmm. Angry individuals, sackings, betrayal, backstabbing, toothless unions, pilots who cross the floor at voting time to suit their own agenda.....

I can clearly see why Cathay is so much better than working in Australia.

404 Titan
12th Aug 2005, 01:03
victor two

Is that the best you can do? Quite funny really when you consider the state of the Australian Aviation scene, Union membership and all the backstabbing going on there etc etc. If you don’t know the facts in Hong Kong, and you quite clearly don’t, I suggest you F**K O*F because you are embarrassing yourself sunshine.

victor two
12th Aug 2005, 06:44
Yeah, I will do. Just as soon as you go find yourself a aviation headset big enough to fit over your over inflated melon moneybags.........

Enjoy the smog this weekend too, take a big deep breath for me.

petitfromage
12th Aug 2005, 10:06
What a lot of nonsense.
Its like watching my kids in the sandpit, fighting over who gets to play with the tonker truck.
I havent seen such rediculous willy waving and chest beating for a long time.

Australia must be a fun country with so much excess testosterone.
Youre both seriously in need of a good blow job (and I really dont care if you get it in Wan Chai or Kings Cross!)

victor two
12th Aug 2005, 10:37
Petit,

Thanks for the advice about a "good blow", what I think you meant was "404 Titan needs a little head......"

You are right through, it's gotten way too childish and I'm outta here. No hard feelings 404. All the best.

Vic

FlexibleResponse
12th Aug 2005, 11:20
Gentlemen,

If we put emotion to one side for the moment and try just to stick to the facts, Titan 404 is right on the money (and apparently in the money). He is trying to appraise you of the secret to success in this game. Get the heck out of Oz, pronto!

For example, CX picked up some 140 retreads from the ’89 dispute. If you ask any of them whether they were better off financially after losing their jobs in Oz and coming to CX, they invariably crack a tiny smile before their mouths find the appropriate words.

OK, CX may not be the financial paradise it was once, but if your family circumstances allow you to consider CX as an option, you will be better off financially by a factor of about ten. If you have any doubts about it, check the remuneration at CX and compare it with the appalling hand-to-mouth existence at the likes of Virgin and JetStar. Don’t even bother looking at the slave-labour rates of the Oz lesser runs.

Don't sell yourselves short. Don't stab your mates in the back.

prospector
13th Aug 2005, 11:17
And please ask your captain before you post.

Prospector

tamalai
22nd Aug 2005, 08:39
Three surgeons go out to lunch and sure enough the conversation gets round to work....................

"Well", says the first surgeon,"I prefer operating on the japanese because you'll find when you open them up, they are all colour coded inside, so when you've finished, just connect red to red, blue to blue, zip 'em up and presto"

"Personally", says the second,"I prefer working on Germans because when you open them up you'll find all the internel organs have part numbers...........need a new heart?? just find a matching number, swap it and wallah, easy"

"I prefer working on Australians", says the third," because you'll find that the mouth and the Asshole is exactly the same size and completely interchangeable"

BlueEagle
22nd Aug 2005, 14:02
Well now, amusing though it may be, I think this thread may have lost its direction!

I'm closing this one but please feel free to open a new one that concentrates on the original question, which was:
"G'day all,
Just a quick question for you all. Why is working at cathay better then working for the red rat. Do the crew get on a lot better? is the atmosphere and conditions more relaxed?
thank's for your input.

regards,

Shnee

Many thanks, BE.