PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network problems

Secret Squire
3rd Aug 2005, 15:55
Hi,

I have a D-Link wireless router, which is used to share the home adsl line with 2 computers. However, I am frequently getting problems where it will just seemingly lose the connection to the internet, and won't restore it unless i reset factory defaults and reconfigure the adsl connection.

The connection to the router seems fine from both computers (one via cat5, the other via wireless), and the internet is never a problem with a non-wireless modem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards

SS

Conan the Librarian
3rd Aug 2005, 16:26
Have deleted my answer as after much reflection, I think I am completely out of the tree on this one. Please forgive me! Let me go and think for a while...

Conan

rustle
3rd Aug 2005, 17:00
Someone else had a similar problem HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173705)

Any use?

FJJP
3rd Aug 2005, 21:44
Have you tried re-booting the router [unplug power for 10 secs and re-power]?

When mine drops out occasionally, this usually works...

FJJP

BRL
4th Aug 2005, 18:30
I have had exactly the same problem with my Belkin ADSL Modem Router thingy. I turned off the Windows firewall and it has not dropped out for days now. I used to have to unplug it every time it dropped out. Give that a try if you have another firewall running (I have McAfee).

Stripholderloader
4th Aug 2005, 19:54
A lot of problems like this are caused by the positioning of the router. Try moving it and see how you get on.
Regards
SHL

richard bradshaw
5th Aug 2005, 12:02
Position and alignment (vertical/horizontal) of the aerial could be an issue - I have a similar setup and have had problems with the this.

You could try hard setting the speed to 11 Mbps; sometimes the auto negotiation goes a bit mad!

Keef
5th Aug 2005, 19:43
I had this problem in spades with elder daughter's home network. In the end, I dumped the Belkin wireless router and got a "better" one. That was about nine months ago, and it's not dropped out since.

Belkin seem to have more than their fair share of problems.