Sorry to hear that Potty-
Keep the chin up and get yourself sorted and get the thing re-done...:ok:

POT NOODLE HORN
3rd Aug 2005, 01:12
Thanx Pipergirl for the support......
few more trips then take 2

Permafrost_ATPL
3rd Aug 2005, 08:09
Not that I want to rub it in, but maybe you could share what the mistakes were? Might be of use to those following you - including me next week! Good luck for the next time...

Megaton
3rd Aug 2005, 08:11
Wouldn't worry too much. Good mate of mine failed his initial IRT....he's now a 744 skipper with BA!

POT NOODLE HORN
3rd Aug 2005, 15:56
Got a route out of Bristol to Glouester, DCT-BCN L9 ALVIN-DCT GST
Departure went well, route went well hlod was good, as soon as I left fl40 for the descent and was getting bumped about all over the show, leveled off at MDA (600ft) as I increased power I climbed to 730ish. Single engine g/a was good ,G/H was all good,
back at Bristol for single engine R.V. ILS, got established again being tossed all over the shop got to about 2.5d saw the g/s "lobes" moving up slightly so I increased back pressure only to sink like a b@*ch in a "downdraft" and there goes my first time pass.

Permafrost_ATPL
3rd Aug 2005, 19:01
Thanks for the details. Sounds a bit harsh, given that you said it was very bumpy out there. Having done the FAA IR in the past, I find it a bit weird that the CAA examiners don't allow the student to go around if he/she thinks that they're getting too close to the edge of the cone. Of course if you did the same thing on the second attempt, they'd fail you. But there's nothing unsafe about deciding to go around on a really bumpy day if you're starting to lose the GS/LOC... GOOD LUCK FOR THE NEXT ONE!

18greens
4th Aug 2005, 21:48
Perhaps the answer is 'Don't do it on a bumpy day'. My initial was on a bumpy day and the result was similar to yours.

Attempt 2 was a CAVOK day with little wind and it was a breeze.

flyfish
4th Aug 2005, 23:08
Have to agree with 18greens, there is no point in stacking the odds against you.
I am sure the examiners take bumpy weather into account and will cut you some slack, but if you go out of limits on the ILS or it becomes unstable, then no matter what the reason he/she has no choice but to fail that part of the test.

All the very best for the re- test . Its most certainly less nerve racking the second time when you sit there waitng for the examiner to join you!
flyfish