PDA

View Full Version : Training Times

MLS
2nd Aug 2005, 01:08
Hello all,

I’m a DESO starting with Cathay in Adelaide in September, and start the ground course in Hong Kong on the A340 in early November. Can anyone shed some light on the length of the ground course, sim work and how long it will be till I start flying “cruise relief sectors”?

Cannot wait!

MLS

busdriver
2nd Aug 2005, 02:35
You can expect to be in the City of Churches (ADL) for 4 weeks. In that time you will do 6 hours on a Dutchess, 28 hours in their JTS (Jet Training Simulator) of Cathay Mouth Music and flows, and also 46 hours of ground school preperation for the various CAD exams.

Then in HKG you will spend your first 2 weeks getting organised within CX and write CAD exams on Thursdays and Fridays.

This is followed by 2.5 weeks of sitting behind a computer screen doing the Computer Based Training which is your ground school. This includes a 2 hour lecture everyday and 5 exams.

The course ends on a Friday and depending on your luck you will either be straight into the sim on Saturday or Monday to start another 3 weeks of 16 Sim sessions (Airbus Only the 744 has 8 I think) (incl your IFR and A/C ratings).

Then over the next two weeks more classes on company policy and Emergency training followed by your first Observation flight.

You will do 9 sectors of LUFUS training and then sector 10 is your line-check over a 2.5 month process. During this period you will be back in the Sim for Module 1 of your S/O continuation training.

CRM and Modules 2 - 6 over the next year (typically ever 60 days and MOD 3 & 6 being the A/C and IFR tests). When you then will start from Module 1 again and repeat this process untill you upgrade to J/FO in 3 years and 6 months since starting the ball rolling.

Good Luck -

MLS
2nd Aug 2005, 03:43
Thanks Bus Driver,

thats what exactly what I was looking for,

Thanks for your time,

MLS

DexyDogg
6th Aug 2005, 07:29
I am also starting as a DESO in September and I have a couple of simple questions that I am hoping one of you might be kind enough to answer:

First, I am under the impression that Flight Training Adelaide will provide headsets in the Duchess. Is this correct or should I drag along my old David Clark?

Also, does Cathay provide headsets for the crews on a normal pairing or should I get my own before coming over to HK?

My last question: I am starting in what I have been told is a new program as a DESO on the 777. What do you think my schedule will look like as a Second Officer on the 777?

Thanks for your help! :ok:

sinkingship
6th Aug 2005, 08:28
Hi,
ADL will provide headsets but they cheapo DC copies which are about as old as the duchess, your own ones would be better. On the aircraft CX and sims the headsets are ok probably not worth your while to buy your own. The amount you will use a heaset as a SO is hardly ever, maybe to keep your hair in place after you get out from the bunks.
There are no 777 SO on line at the moment but i think the roster will not be as comfortable as the 400/340 guys and girls. You will mainly do 3 crew trips (SO always get crap rest and works the most on 3 crew) and the layovers and patterns will generally be shorter therefore you may have 4 trips/mth as oppose to 3/mth. 777 at the moment generally middle east SO as a legstretch pilot.
Have fun, get ready to say hello to Dubai, bahrain & Riyadh. You can forget the rest of the network for now.

Spektor
6th Aug 2005, 13:43
Hi,

To continue the discussion on the new 777 SO positions, do you guys think they will be cross trained on the 747 as well at some point?

Also, might the upgrade times on the 777 fleet be shorter?

Spektor.

mizzy
6th Aug 2005, 14:18
what i hv heard before, the 777 S/Os should be 744/777 dual qualify rather than just 777. not sure about the final decision.

DexyDogg
6th Aug 2005, 15:56
Thanks for the speedy responses!

I figured that the Middle East was going to be the main destination for 777 SOs. :)

mizzy
6th Aug 2005, 16:11
just my opinion, it is a waste (or say insufficient) for putting SO on 777 solely as the long babe mainly serves BOM & middle east at present. not theri style and you never know.... a route change is comming perhaps?? :hmm:

DexyDogg
6th Aug 2005, 20:14
I am speculating somewhat here but....

My understanding (and by no way am I an expert since I haven't even started) is that CX cannot train and Line Indoc enough SOs on the 340 and 747 alone and are looking to get more pilots through the program by using the longer 777 flights.

Any further information on this?

mizzy
7th Aug 2005, 14:52
Silberfuchs,

that's pretty much what i have heard too. i believe teh roster shouldn't be too bad for those future dual qualify boeing S/Os, still somewhat better (just my opinion) than those bus S/Os if the current pattern remain unchange, just convert those Aus & NZ to ME, but with PX vs Duty on their roster, curry vs seafood.

DexyDogg
7th Aug 2005, 23:10
Thanks for the further info on the 777 DESO sked. Dubai, here I come.... :cool:

Along the same lines as my headset question earlier, do CX pilots usually carry a flight bag? I've heard that all the manuals are onboard and there is little for the pilots to drag around. With my current job, there is no need for one, but I am prepared to buy a nice flight case that will last!

Thanks.;)

petitfromage
19th Aug 2005, 10:46
The details above (posted by Silberfuchs/Mizzy) have changed....that was the plan but it is not anymore!

There are going to be SOs crossed trained from the 744 but they are still primarily 744 SOs and do all their SO simulator modules in the 744.

BUT.....

There are also new joiners coming direct to the 777 as SOs. ie: they are joining as 777 SOs.
They will cross qualify onto the 774 after 4-6mths but they will remain primarily 777 SOs. ie: they will do their SO simulator modules on the 777.

Obviously for ease of JFO upgrade, these SOs will upgrade into the right hand seat of the 777 after approx 3yrs.

For new joiners, told they are going to the 777, this is the current plan.

DexyDogg
19th Aug 2005, 14:41
Thanks petitfromage!:D

mizzy
19th Aug 2005, 16:13
DexyDogg..

i think you are one of the first 4 new S/Os on teh 777 fleet mentioned if your course date remain unchange in sept.

a little add-up to petitfromage's update, the 744 crossed trained S/Os will be those senior S/Os at this moment, according to company news. Those "juniors" can still enjoy the sun and teh beach.

DexyDogg
19th Aug 2005, 23:21
Thanks for the note, mizzy. Much appreciated!

Yes, my course date is Sept. 12 start in ADL and I was told by Flight Recruitment that I was on the first 777 S/O course.

While I am excited to be on the 777, I have been very curious as to what my roster might look like come line flying time. So far it has been easy for the 340 and 747 guys/gals who are heading over as they have a pretty good idea as to how to plan their move with their prior knowledge of scheduling. This post (even with the speculation!) has been very helpful in giving me an idea as to what I can expect and how I can coordinate the move once training is done.

I'm looking forward to it and thanks again. Any more info that comes up would be great.

Cheers!:p