PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter in which country i do my ratings?

escobar
1st Aug 2005, 20:19
If i do a JAA CPL, FI and multi, does it really make a difference if i do them in britain, spain, any JAA state, america with the british CAA approval, america with the spanish CAA approval? I presume that if i pass a cpl from a school in america that has been approved by the spanish CAA then i can apply and recieve a JAA CPL from the british CAA?

I believe there is something whereby you have to do your IR in the state where you passed your ATPL's????

KrazyKraut
2nd Aug 2005, 10:11
Here are a couple of thoughts:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184220

KK

escobar
2nd Aug 2005, 11:55
KK, there is a fine line between what i can afford and what is best for me. Therefore I was planning on getting all my ratings up to the IR in a foreign country and then doing my IR in britain. From what i have read on the other thread the UK CAA will isuue me a UK CPl, ME and FI, but will the license state "on the back of a foreign license"?

KrazyKraut
3rd Aug 2005, 08:02
Escobar,

if you do the CPL/ME/FI with any UK CAA - approved FTO, regardless of where that's located, you will get issued a UK CAA/JAA licence. Some people think that a UK-issued JAA licence is held in higher regard by future employers than a non-UK licence, although that's a matter of strong opposing views.

If you don't want/need a UK-issued licence, you can go to another JAA member state and do your training with an FTO approved there.

Doing your training abroad with a UK CAA - approved FTO *can* be cost-effective and high-quality, but it is absolutely crucial that you do proper research and visits beforehand.

Hope this helps,

KK

escobar
3rd Aug 2005, 11:59
The problem for me is that the school i want to go to in america is approved by the spanish CAA and i was wondering if the british caa would give me my license, or if my license would give granted on the back of a spanish license?

BigGrecian
3rd Aug 2005, 12:08
Spanish approved = spanish licence.

BillieBob
3rd Aug 2005, 12:25
escobar - To return to your original question, the rules for JAA licences and ratings are different regarding the issuing Authority. In the case of licences, you must determine a State of Licence Issue and all training and testing leading to the issue of the licence must be completed in training organisations approved by that State. However, when it comes to ratings added to the licence, you may complete the training and testing in any state that is recommended for mutual recognition and the State of Licence Issue will then add the rating to your JAA licence.

In the example that you quote, by electing to complete the modular CPL(A) at a FTO approved by the Spanish Authority, you are making Spain the State of Licence Issue and you will, therefore have to complete all of the licence (theoretical knowledge examinations, medical, etc.) in Spain or at FTOs approved by Spain. You cannot mix and match between countries and, for example, complete the exams in the UK, flying in Spain and medical elsewhere. It is possible to change the State of Licence Issue part way through the training process, but this requires the agreement of both States and is not always easy to achieve. You can also elect to change the State of Licence Issue after the licence has been issued, subject to certain residency requirements.

Having received the licence, you can complete training and testing for subsequent ratings in any JAA member state and the State of Licence Issue is obliged by JAR-FCL to add those ratings to your licence. So, having received the licence from, say, the Spanish Authority, you could complete a FI rating in the UK, a multi in Belgium and an IR in Italy and have them added to your Spanish-issued licence.

A list of JAA member states currently recommended for mutual recognition can be found on the JAA website.

escobar
27th Aug 2005, 23:46
Sorry for the late response, but thanx to all who have posted. It makes things a bit clearer for me, if not a bit more expensive