PDA

View Full Version : Light weight ANR headsets

MinimaNoContact
1st Aug 2005, 10:01
I've just started flying the BAe146 and realised that the company headsets are terrible and the aircraft is bloody noisy!

I have been doing a little research into ANR headsets and was wondering what other jet pilots use and recommend?

The Sennheiser ANR seems to be at the top of my list at the moment, pricing is quite good too, any opinions/comments appreciated.

Cheers,
MNC

Intruder
1st Aug 2005, 20:36
I don't know if the 146 is noisier than a 747, but I very much like my Sennheiser HMEC45s. I prefer the over-the-ear style to the earcup style for both weight and conversation considerations. OTOH, if you have $1000 to spare, the Bose headsets are VERY nice, even with the earcups!

FWIW, Sennheiser has the 45s for $500 for ALPA members. I don't know if they extend it to other airlines, but e-mail Michael Feldbauer (mailto:[email protected]) to enquire.

MinimaNoContact
2nd Aug 2005, 07:30
Thanks for the replies!

The 25 and the 45 are the models I was considering. Marvgolden.com seems to be pretty reasonable for price.

The 25's with the 'full cup' style looks pretty bulky, is it uncomfortable on longer flights?

The 45's look good, does the ANR function still have enough effect with the 'open cup' style?

Cheers

Khartoun
2nd Aug 2005, 19:40
Try

Keith Foote

talkingheadsets.co.uk

An expert in anr kit for various environments and probably cheaper than sennhieser

Intruder
2nd Aug 2005, 23:55
The 45's look good, does the ANR function still have enough effect with the 'open cup' style?
"Enough" is a function of the individual airplane and pilot. It is enough for me in the 747; it totally wipes out one of the major sources (outside wind noise) and greatly reduces the inside airflow/fan noises.