PDA

View Full Version : Are Multi hours important?

Pace152
31st Jul 2005, 20:56
Hi

I was wondering if somebody out there could help me.

I'm currently doing an integrated ATPL (Frozen) flight training package at a school in America and am concerned about the small number of multi hours included in my package.

Could somebody please tell me how important multi hours are when your trying to get a job in the UK. I have asked a few people but keep getting conflicting advice. I'd be really grateful if somebody out there who really knows the answer could tell me.

Thanks.

Maude Charlee
1st Aug 2005, 14:38
Unless your multi time is going to run into several hundred hours, the actual number will make as near as damn it no difference. To potential employers, 50 hours is the same as 100, or 150 hours - i.e, no experience at all.

Sounds rough when it might amount to 25% or more of your total experience, but when airline guys rack up 800hrs or so a year, anything less than 2000hrs is still pretty inexperienced. Go spend the money on something fun or different instead and try and stand out by being different to the other guys. Too many virtually identical CVs sitting on too many desks otherwise.

Bigmouth
2nd Aug 2005, 15:29
Multi time counts. But only if you didn't pay for it.

Pace152
2nd Aug 2005, 20:00
Thanks for your replies, that really is a big help!

I just wasn't sure whether having a few more multi hours would make any difference, but what you say sound absolutely true!

I think I'll spend the money on a Jet Orientation Course instead.

Permafrost_ATPL
3rd Aug 2005, 08:14
Feel like sharing why you might do the a Jet Orientation Course? I've been wondering whether to do one, but I just can't find very good arguments for it. It's a bit like Maude said, earlier in this thread, regarding the Multi hours: will a few more hours on a jet sim really make you a more valuable job candidate? Unless your MCC is not on a jet sim, of course...

Megaton
3rd Aug 2005, 08:19
I don't think 10 extra multi hrs or a JOC/JOT are really going to make a difference. Getting cvs read is a matter of timing, luck and having an interesting cv that's worth reading. Loads of people out there with 300-400 hrs.

BillieBob
3rd Aug 2005, 12:37
I'm currently doing an integrated ATPL (Frozen) flight training package at a school in America I hope this is a 'slip of the pen' and not a misunderstanding of what is actually being provided. There are no FTOs in the USA approved to provide an integrated ATPL(A) course and what is being referred to here is, presumably, a series of modular flight training courses for the CPL(A), MEP(A) and IR(A), joined together in a structured fashion.

This is not intended to start another integrated<>modular debate, nor to be a nit-picking criticism of the original post. It is important, especially in the case of training organisations in non-JAA member states, that people understand clearly the status of the organisation and of the courses that they are buying, a fact of which a number of victims of the DCA/AFT debacle will be acutely aware.