PDA

View Full Version : Career help

philip2004uk
31st Jul 2005, 08:57
I love flying and fly the airlines on flightsim for the last ten years. i've kept up to date on aviation things. but i dont feel i could spend all that money on being an airline pilot. plus i dont feel as safe on small planes although i feel safe in light aircraft. do you have any ideas on what i could do as a job with aircraft apart from the airport ground service as i dont enjoy working with the public as you do get the odd one who is rude.
Thanks in advance

+'ve ROC
31st Jul 2005, 10:56
Hi Phillip,

If you do a search on here you can find out about sponsorship etc.

Have you thought about joining the RAF? - Plenty of flying related jobs there!

What about a career in ATC?

"You do get the odd one who is rude"...

I'm afraid to say that it's a fact of life that people are rude - the important thing is how you deal with it!

Good luck

philip2004uk
31st Jul 2005, 11:53
Thanks yeah i work in the airport but i was thinking all over in my head. i would love to go straight to airbus a330 which i know is a bit mad to think i can just go from nothing to that also i liked the idea of working in the u.s . i think a cpl is 15000 pounds but i bet there is so much competition or would it just be right place right time to apply. definately aviation is all i know. do you know if you can work in the u.s with an faa cpl being from the u.k.

The African Dude
31st Jul 2005, 12:57
Philip,

There are numerous ways to obtain your professional license to employment standard, most of which will cost you significantly more than £15,000 - and of course, there are no guarantees of a job either. I am sure that current pilots would also probably tell you stories of not just members of the public but engineers, ground staff etc. that were rude to them in the past too! It's just part of working as a team with other people with their own bad-days/lack-of-sleep/anything...etc., not just the passenger-public, which as an airline pilot you must do.

If you were to click into the Ground Studies forum under the "Wannabes" section you would find a wealth of info about flying training. You might even find that your passion for aircraft could be satisfied by getting a Private Pilot's License and flying at weekends or days off.

Other careers that might be worth looking at could be dispatcher, air traffic control, maintenance engineer etc. all allowing you to be within that big, noisy, constantly changing & aircraft-filled environment you seek.

Good luck
Andy

philip2004uk
31st Jul 2005, 13:09
Thanks that helped me i'll look at the forums you suggested. does anyone know jobs you can do to work in the u.s non aviation related if need be as i love a few places over there. i guess one is owning your own restaurant:O