PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating Quest.

B767PL
30th Jul 2005, 11:36
Hey guys. Back in May I got my PPL. Now in Sept. im planning on getting my Instrument Rating.

I have this dilema; Part 121, or Part 61??

What did you guys go with, and why. Also, which do you suggest going with, and why?

Thanks for your replies, they are appreciated. :)

KrazyKraut
2nd Aug 2005, 10:09
Hey 767,

this forum is mainly for people who train towards or fly with European JAA licences. You won't find too much FAA-specific advice or posts here. There are a couple of US-based forums that might be better suited to your question.

Good Luck,

KK

Julian
3rd Aug 2005, 12:12
B767,

I did my IR under Part 61. I just happened to have used the instructor & school before as was impressed with the aircraft and the attitude of the staff.

KK,

Not true at all! There are posters to this forum who are JAA land, there are those outside of JAA land and of course those obtaining a JAA licence via FAA on the way such as obtainging the FAA IR and converting. Also nowhere in:

---
A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.
---

Does it state JAA only? Nope so post away B767.

Julian.

ATPMBA
3rd Aug 2005, 23:53
Part 141 or Part 61

Part 61.65 (d)(1) talks about having 50 hours of PIC cross-country time at the time of the IR test. Building XC time in a heli, at least to me is a waste of money. Check out the Part 141 approved schools (Ellington, CT) to see what they have as a XC requirement if any, I believe 141 schools are not locked into the 50 hours of XC. Use the saved money for your CFI.

Let's us know what you find out.

Julian
4th Aug 2005, 09:19
Found this brief explanantion on t'internet which may help...

FAA Part 61 requires the student be able to pass the FAA written exam, with no required ground school training provided by the school. This means you may complete all the text material by yourself. If you have problems with any material you may hire an instructor to review and teach any material you are having a problem understanding. The FAA only requires 40 hours of flight training as listed in Part 61.

FAA Part 141 approved schools must receive an FAA inspection and approval to conduct training under this part. A training syllabus must be written for approval as well as the flight training schedule. The aircraft must be inspected by an FAA Maintenance Inspector and approved for Part 141 instruction. The training facility must also be inspected by an FAA Operations Inspector. Training under Part 141 the student is required to complete a specific number of hours of formal ground instruction in a classroom or one on one with a FAA Certificated Flight Instructor. The flight training hours are reduced for each rating, and the total hours of flight time is reduced due to this type of training environment. However most students will exceed the minimum hours to meet the proficiency standards to pass the flight test.

Julian.

englishal
4th Aug 2005, 15:10
...and not forgetting that 141 has stage checks with the chief pilot. You MUST pass these to continue to the next phase of training.

This COULD be a problem if say you had difficulty in one area of operation, but exceeded at others. You would then be held back until you passed the stage check, and as Julian pointed out, could lead to an excess of hours.

141 is only really beneficial if you start from scratch and work your way to CFII, then instruct before heading into the airlines....

EA

B767PL
7th Aug 2005, 14:33
Hey guys. Thank you all for the replies, I could not reply sooner as I was away for a bit.

My ultimate goal is being a commercial pilot and getting paid to fly, I want this to become my career. I aquired my PPL under Part 61, and I like the school and instructor, plus the conveniant location (same place I work) but from what it seems like, P61 could be more costly, and money as always, is a factor. What would you guys do, or what are your opinions? I have to make a decision by Sept. and start looking for a 141 school if I decide to go that route, so I am really not sure what to do. :sad: :)

Thanks again for all the replies. :ok:

B767PL
13th Aug 2005, 16:15
Anybody? I think im leaning towards 61, but does anyone have any advice, input?