PDA

View Full Version : In car (fixed) satnav

Abbeville
30th Jul 2005, 11:14
Am thinking about replacing my (stuffed) radio/cassette with a fixed satnav unit. I saw a couple in Halfords the other day where the screen slides out then stands vertically. I was in a rush but thought I spotted one that was a combined radio/satnav/CD player?

Any feedback or gen on these? Or perhaps you could point me to a website that reviews them?

Many ta's

A

Phoenix09
30th Jul 2005, 11:41
A good place to start may be Pocket GPS World which can be found here (http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/). Although the site is called Pocket GPS it also covers wired systems as well.

CosmosSchwartz
30th Jul 2005, 18:18
Hell of an expensive one, but it's the Daddy!

Pioneer X1 (http://www.soundmasterscotland.com/pioneer_avic_x1_sat_nav_and_dvd_i013810.aspx)

When (if) I ever have the spare cash for it I'm buying this. Even if I have to sell the car! No, hang on....... :}

CBA_caption
2nd Aug 2005, 12:39
I Have one! (Gloat mode enabled).

You're right it is flipping expensive (this is exactly the kind of product credit cards were made for), but I cannot live without it now. And I also have a very cunning way of justifying it too. If you want a car with sat nav, to get a decent one (ie dvd nav) you have to but a fairly expensive car. Lets say that car costs £20000. Putting a sat nav in your existing car, £1500. I've now just saved myself £18500. Now just try that logic on your other half....

BTW.. Mrs Caption, whilst initially sceptical, now loves the thing. It's a totally different way of driving. No hassle, door to door where ever you want to go in Europe (or US). Not to mention the take-me-to-the-nearest option with everything from hospitals to fast food joints (or routes between the two, depending on your choice of the latter!)

DO NOT BUY from H**ford's. They wanted £2400 and no cd changer. Go to an independent (but still shop around) I got mine with CD changer, 3 year warranty, lifetime installation warranty (Don't try to fit them yourself, it looked bloody complicated and took the pros 7hrs) for £1500.

oh and finally, go for the AVIC X1R. New gizmo's and carlos fandango bits at no extra cost.

Oh and really finally, the flip up panel that folds into the dash when its off is something so snazzy, not even Gene Roddenbery could think of it!

CBA

spannersatcx
2nd Aug 2005, 15:23
I have sat nav, Tom Tom, and it is very good to use, one thing I am aware of though is it can make you a bit blase, in that you don't really have an appreciation of where you are and where you are going (yes I know the destination as I put it in the navigate to!) do you see what I mean. So I will always have a look at a map first to get some idea just in case.:{

CosmosSchwartz
2nd Aug 2005, 21:30
CBA_caption - I'm quite jealous;)

Should you ever write off your car or for whatever reason decide you don't want the X1 anymore, bagsy first refusal before you stick it on ebay!:ok:

CBA_caption
4th Aug 2005, 16:34
Cosmos,

Consider it yours, but bear in mind I'd strap it to my push-bike and tow a battery behind me before I'd let it go!!

You'll just have to hope I get horribly mutillated in the crash....

CBA:}

CosmosSchwartz
6th Aug 2005, 11:19
But if you got horribly mutilated in the crash then chances are the x1 would suffer a bit of damage as well, then it would all have been for nothing!:p ;)

Will just have to keep saving my pennies!:ouch: