PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor One Touch problem

John Farley
29th Jul 2005, 11:08
I have used a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive for a couple of years to back up my data from six computers (on a copy/paste basis) This has meant I can access the data from all the computers from any computer running the Maxtor.

The Maxtor is now full so I got another one which is a Maxtor One Touch II. With this I decided to use the One Touch facility to auto back up the whole of the hard drives (not just data) from the various computers.

This has worked fine BUT I can only access the data for the computer that is currently using the Maxtor. The other backups are there but shown ‘Locked’. Hitting unlock does nothing. I have not used any passwords during the various setups.

So what am I doing wrong?

Conan the Librarian
29th Jul 2005, 16:58
I suspect that you are not doing anything wrong here - I will take a punt and surmise that there is a lock to stop you from accidentally restoring data from another PC and thus, compromising the original.

Others will no doubt be able to give a definitive answer - but good timing! I was just about to use my external to back up both machines as well.

Regards,

Conan

John Farley
30th Jul 2005, 07:44
Thanks Conan

After a night's sleep I am sure you are probably right.

JF