PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail problem

MadsDad
29th Jul 2005, 10:05
A friend has got a problem with hotmail and I wonder if anyone else has seen anything similar.

What happens is she can log in to hotmail and get to the inbox ok but when she tries to read the mail it comes up with a message 'Cant display page' (apparently there is an error number but it just flashes up for a short time and she hasn't been able to read it). This is happening with all incoming mail. I've logged into her account on my machine and read the mail ok so it's obviously something local to her pc.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet (so haven't seen any relevant messages) but will sometime over the weekend. I suspect it's something in the security setings but if anyone else has had a similar problem I would be interested in hearing about it.

spekesoftly
29th Jul 2005, 10:14
I've occasionally had similar problems with Hotmail.

Can't offer any specific solution, but tinkering with security settings, and/or Firewall configuration usually seems to fix it.

MadsDad
29th Jul 2005, 11:21
Thanks, speke, those are the areas I'll be prodding round in.

Although, of course, NOBODY has changed ANY of the options since it was last working.

3legs
29th Jul 2005, 15:12
Another good starting point is to clear cache and temp internet files. That sometimes helps too...I would agree speaksoftly with regards to firewall and security settings...

Good Luck finding the problem

3Legs
:ok:

Octane
31st Jul 2005, 05:12
Hi,
In the past I had many similar problems with hotmail. Never really figured out what was going on but switching to Firefox and ditching IE solved all problems. Firefox is a better browser anyway.
Octane

MadsDad
1st Aug 2005, 11:16
Octane, I know. I use it (although I still use IE for a couple of sites that don't work under Firefox).

I'm trying to persuade the person concerned to switch (and didn't sort it out over the weekend, due to one thing and another didn't get chance. I'll have to work on it later).