PDA

View Full Version : Flight Decks and Visitors?

G-ANDY
28th Jul 2005, 16:37
I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be "NO" but I thought I'd ask: What are the chances of getting on a flight deck these days?

I'm currently doing my ATPL theory exams before doing my CPL/IR and am flying on a BMI flight on Monday from Heathrow down to Naples.

Usually when I fly commercial I don't bother asking, but I'm having a bit of difficulty with the instruments part of the syllabus and it would really help to see what is actually going on, rather than just working on a mental picture in my head.

Cheers,

G-ANDY

The Greaser
28th Jul 2005, 16:39
Before or after flight - no problem, unless you get a strange Captain.
PS If you ask any questions about instruments don't be surprised to see a couple of very blank looks!

3legs
28th Jul 2005, 17:54
G-ANDY,

You have a PM :ok:

0-8
28th Jul 2005, 18:10
I was on a Virgin A340-600 a few months ago and asked the cabin crew if they would speak to the Captain regarding a quick flight deck visit on the ground at the other end.
They got back to me and said that the Captain would be happy to see me when we landed.

But when I went up there to take a look a rather stern German/Austrian FO said I could only visit if I had an airside ID?
He must have had a long flight...

Jordan D
28th Jul 2005, 19:21
You win some, you lose some.

As you'll see in many other threads, the answer varies from yes to no, so take your chances and best of luck!

Jordan

BAe 146-100
28th Jul 2005, 23:17
Never really had a problem. Just make sure you ask after engine shutdown and they should let you have a quick visit. I have even seen the flightdeck on Ryanair! :p

Best of luck
BAe 146

duece19
29th Jul 2005, 08:55
You gotta ask to get.

I used to ask on every flight I was on for years. Now when I fly myself, Im more than happy to let people have a look in but just dont ask about gyros and instruments :confused: :{

It happens quite regularly that someone asks to have a look in the flightdeck and often the same question: "woow, so many buttons, do you really know what they are all for"

errr nooo I havent got a clue.

anyway IŽll cut the crap talk here, but please do ask.

/duece

wynned3
29th Jul 2005, 09:51
Hey,

I always let people in once we landed. I will let student pilots in for the landing if they have their SPL or PPL with them. Just bring you PPL and you should have no problem.

When you ask the hostie give her your licence and then the capitano will say YES!

McLeod
29th Jul 2005, 10:06
Hi wynned3

Would you let in a student without their PPL if they had their log-book?

RevMan2
29th Jul 2005, 11:39
Q: Why do we have reinforced cockpit doors?
A: To maintain an adequate level of security.

Keep them closed and locked. Period.

McLeod
29th Jul 2005, 12:12
Keep them closed and locked. Period.

Good point. I will be satisfied with my C-152 cockpit! :ok:

Mark Noble
30th Jul 2005, 02:05
I know someone personally who has more than once sat in the jump seat of a Ryanair jet on a Dublin to London route. He and the Captain had a mutual interest (the Captain used to work in what the guy I know does now) and there was no problem...

It's certainly not unheard of with some airlines.

Jordan D
30th Jul 2005, 08:11
RevMan2 - locked after landing?

If that's your attitude - sweat it out in the cockpit forever. Period.

Jordan

night hawk 150
30th Jul 2005, 09:05
i work for ryanair at stansted airport and i too have had a few jump seat flights not just from ryanair but first choice and flyglobespan but that is becasue i showed my Airside ID which help's very much.

however the best way to get a cockpit flight or visit is to take a look around the forums and try and find a airline pilot and try and become friends. he or she may let you come up if you book a flight with the airline and your on his flight (thats how i got my first flight deck ride in a A319 Easyjet and i had found the captain from the airliners section of PPRUNE)

so just give a few things a try they do still happen even after 9/11 its just luck i guess

good luck