PDA

View Full Version : PPL/IR to CPL/IR written examinations

Wrong Stuff
28th Jul 2005, 16:32
I vaguely recollect when I did my IR theory exams (about 30 months ago) that I had the option of just doing the extra CPL theory papers if I wanted to do the CPL course. Looking in LASORS now, it's not explicit but it would appear that I'd have to do all the CPL exams, including some I've already passed in the past 36 months, if I now want to do a CPL.

Is this correct, or is there something I'm missing here? Is there any better route to get a CPL than just doing the JAR exams?

Many thanks,
Wrong Stuff

muttley123
28th Jul 2005, 19:08
Wrong Stuff I also passed all the IR exams last year purely to add an MEP/IR to my PPL. Only recently have I looked in to the possibilities of doing the CPL. I think what you say is correct about resitting all the exams which quite frankly appears ludicrous.
Regards Muttley 123

2close
28th Jul 2005, 20:56
Assuming that the CPL is taken first then surely, if the application for IR is submitted within 36 months of the initial CPL exams being taken the only additional exams that would be required to be taken would be those that are common to both (and in the case of CPL first, IR second this woud actually be none. If the IR was taken first then the other two exams required for CPL would obviously be needed).

LASORS states that exams must be passed in the nine CPL subjects AND the seven IR subjects (all of which have been covered during the CPL) but does it state that the exams have to be repeated?

Has anyone ever tried to submit the same pass results without repeating the exams?

If the CPL exam passes were still valid, i.e. within 36 months, it seems ludicrous to expect someone to take them all again for the IR.

Unless of course the exam standards applied to CPL, IR and ATPL exams in the same subject are different? If so, why?

2close

ricky-godf
28th Jul 2005, 21:36
I really think that you have to take them all, the JAA states different learning objectives on each subject, so even if the subject is the same, you could be asked slightly different things.
I'd rather take the 14 ATPL exams, it would take some extra effort, time and money, but I guess it's much better than doing 9+7+14= 30 examination papers (consider also that the CAA don't examine you for free).
Best luck.

Wrong Stuff
29th Jul 2005, 12:22
Many thanks for the replies.

Looks like I won't be doing that, then. Doing the duplicate exams would be a bit of a pain, but there's no way I'm spending three weeks of my meagre annual holiday attending the consolidation courses to hear stuff I've sat through before and doing the same old feedback questions.

If there's no advantage doing it before the 36 months are up on my IR exams, I might as well wait a few years until I really want or need it. I'll probably have more free time by then anyway.

Cheers,
Wrong Stuff

Aim High
31st Jul 2005, 19:25
The CPL and IR learning objectives and exams are very different

The CPL course prepares you very well to be a flight instructor and is a course which can be taken if you are just not ready to attempt an ATPL course for whatever reason
It has its limitations which have been discussed here before

The IR course prepares you for adding a rating to your licence be it on a PPL or CPL

The biggest gripe, and I believe strongly that it is a fair one, is that CPL + IR does not make ATPL

We have been campaigning gently for the last 3 years for this to be made so. It requires an overhaul of the CPL and IR learning objectives and as yet I have no good news on that matter

A school offering training rather than the same old feedback questions might be a good option

RVR800
2nd Aug 2005, 09:36
You only have to pass 14 exams for the ATPL its over 20 for the CPL/IR. They clearly dont want you to do a CPL/IR - they would prefer you did the ATPL or that is the effect at least.

CPL EXAMS

http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/jar-fcl/jar-fcl_cpla_frame.html

IR EXAMS

http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/jar-fcl/jar-fcl_ira_frame.html

The CAA and JAA have organised it so that very few people do the IR (about 20 a year in the UK out of 60,000 PPLs do the IR)

All this will change soon again.... in November ICAO will introduce the MPL that effectively eliminates the Single crew IR from the training of airline pilots anyway.......I know Lufthansa want this so they will be on the phone to the 'authorities' in November

RVR800
4th Aug 2005, 09:54
Kiss...

Have you received a letter to this effect - there is nothing on SRG
website to this effect?