PDA

View Full Version : Distance Learning ATPL - Pre-requisits

mcken
28th Jul 2005, 13:31
Hi all

I'm moving to work abroad for a couple of years, with the intent of starting flying training upon my return to the UK (or in the States on my way back).

I'd like to make the most of my time away with regards to kick-starting a flying career and would like to ask what the pre-requists are (if any) for completing a distance learning ATPL course e.g. must hold PPL etc.

Thanks in advance

Whirlygig
28th Jul 2005, 13:56
As far as I am aware, distance learning ATPL is for the modular route only and for the modular route, yes, you need to have a PPL first.

It is the integrated route that is ab-initio and I think these are full-time?

Cheers

Whirls

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jul 2005, 14:03
Plenty of spare time and a healthy bank balance.

G

mcken
28th Jul 2005, 14:13
Thanks.

I'm very fortunate in that after two years of working tax free the bank balnce won't be a problem for the flying and spare time abroad is going to be easy - when I'm not lounging by the pool!

I don't have any flying experience yet nor the spare cash or time before I leave so the PPL but could be a problem.

I'm moving to Mexico and from where I will be it's only a 2hr direct flight to Houston. Would it be possible to complete a PPL in the states and then apply for a distance learning ATPL?

Thanks
M

metar
28th Jul 2005, 14:25
Sounds pretty sensible to me... training in the States is good and you can then start a distance learning course with someone like Bristol Ground School.

mcken
28th Jul 2005, 14:49
OK next question - can anyone give me any recommendations for flight training in Texas, preferably the Houston area?

With regards to a distance learning ATPL - how often would I need to return to the UK for exams etc. ?

escobar
28th Jul 2005, 22:25
hi, as far as i'm aware you can do your atpl's in orlando. There is a $400 surcharge, plus if you are going distance from somebody in britain then you'll need to go back there anyway. If you go for a 2 module atpl then you'll need to go back to britain for each module, and each brush up lasts two weeks. Then you can sit your exams so each trip to britain will take 3 weeks. Orlando is good if you, and i hope you don't, need resits. Don't know anybody in houston but if you are in florida i would recommend aussie air, their hour building packages are very attractive and i believe they are just about to recieve JAA status

smith
28th Jul 2005, 23:27
Naples Air Center in FL do the JAA ground school distance learning they do the brush up in Naples and the exams are held in Orlando. You don't need to pay the $400 supplement if you study with Naples. AFAIK you must have an ICAO PPL before you can start the ATPL exams. www.jaagroundschool.com