PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Media Center Edition?

HowlingWind
28th Jul 2005, 12:54
I'm looking for a new system, and many that meet the robust specs I'd prefer seem to be kitted out with Windows XP Media Center Edition. This is a new one on me, and apparently includes some video editing features and TV capabilities, which is not of great interest to me but I suppose is OK. Can anyone comment on how MCE varies from Windows XP Pro? Is MCE an "enhanced" version of Pro, or an "enhanced" version of Home, or neither? Strengths, weaknesses, etc. etc.? :confused:

PS - I did do a search but couldn't find anything here...

BEagle
28th Jul 2005, 17:24
Have you tried looking at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/default.mspx ?

HowlingWind
29th Jul 2005, 15:34
I did in fact look there, Mr. Beags, but as with most of the results of my Google search, it just turned up a bunch of marketing pap like the "top 10 reasons" any flavour of Windows XP is perfect for me, without any straightaway comparisons of what one lacks and another doesn't.

For what it's worth, I went ahead and took the plunge, purchasing a XP Media Center Edition PC yesterday (I figured I could always install XP Pro over it, if it turned out to be dire.) I have yet to see any real difference from XP Pro other than the addition of some controls to accommodate an on-board TV/FM/CATV tuner and remote control, which I may or may not ever set up. So, so far, so good...:ok:

FunkyMunky
29th Jul 2005, 18:44
From what I've heard, XP MCE is built upon the codebase of "Pro" rather than "Home", but I can't be sure.

HowlingWind
31st Jul 2005, 19:06
FunkyMunky, thanks for the response. Upon further research on Usenet, I can confirm you are indeed correct. Windows MCE is what is called a "superset" of Windows XP Pro, which is to say it adds enhanced video and audio component control features atop the XP Pro framework.