PDA

View Full Version : Dell Dimension 8250 Desktop - Microphone problems

Hottie
28th Jul 2005, 04:17
Ladies and Gents,

Recently, I have been subjected to hours and hours of agony in an attempt to solve an ongoing problem with my Dell Dimension 8250 Desktop computer, being a problem with the microphone in particular.

I have just about done everything there is...from ensuring the jacks are inserted correctly into the (appropriate) plugs, checking wires, doing a search on the drivers installed on the pc to ensure the necessary ones are there, Resetting the computer to an earlier setting, uninstalling Sound Blaster Live from the pc, then reinstalling it, checking all Audio Recording/Playback settings....etc etc...

My desktop computer is one in which there is a built-in microphone (sound card) and up until recently, I have had no problems with it whatsoever. The manuals or dell solutions support/help websites have been accessed to do all the above mentioned tasks, however nothing seems to bring success.

If there is anyone who has experienced a similar problem on their desktop, be it on a similar brand or otherwise, PLEASE share any information.

Many thanks in advance :)

SilentlyScreaming
28th Jul 2005, 14:16
Sorry for my possible denseness (and lack of coherent language), but could you clarify exactly what the problem is please?

Hottie
28th Jul 2005, 17:00
SilentlyScreaming,

Firstly, thank you for your interest in helping me with my problem. In case I didn't clarify it in more depth (apologies), when I use programs such as Skype or MSN Messenger, the microphone doesn't function at all..that is, I can hear the other party, however my microphone is useless, meaning they cannot hear me.

I have never had this problem until recently and am bewildered as to why it is occuring now.

Once again, your help in this matter would be much appreciated.

SilentlyScreaming
28th Jul 2005, 21:35
Might not help, but worth checking the fundamentals...
If, in Messenger, you select the Audio/Video Tuning Wizard, when you get to the choice of microphone sources, do you see your soundcard device as the chosen option? If so, when you proceed through the test, does Msngr warn you that your mic isn't enabled? Does the little bar graph move at all when you speak into the mic during the wizard's test?
On a similair note, if you double click the speaker icon in your system tray, is the Mic muted, and if there is an advanced button, is AGC (or similair option for controlling/boosting gain) ticked? Can you hear the mic if you turn your speakers right up? Also check the equivalent settings under the record section - Options menu, Properties, Adjust volume for recording.
If you don't have a speaker icon in your system tray (haven't had SB since the SB16ASP), goto Control Panel, Sound and Audio devices (or Sounds, Speech & Audio devices, then Sound and Audio devices if you use the category view in Control Panel), click the Advanced button.

All above assume XP is your OS, should be fairly similair anyway...

Have you tried other mics, and have you tried the same mic on someone elses PC/amp?
If you are using some form of extension from the soundcard (be it your case's front panel audio connectors, or a SB 5.25" audio breakout bay type thing), have you tried the other sockets?
Does the LineIn input work OK? You don't need anything fancy, or even necessarily line level output for a quick test.

Sorry if no help, but worth a quick run through....
Anyone else got a suggestion?

Hottie
29th Jul 2005, 20:09
SilentlyScreaming,

Thank you for your information. I am shortly to make another attempt at solving this mysterious problem however appreciate your suggestions, and will re-work the situation referring to your notes also. If there are no further replies from me, this will (fingers crossed) indicate success.

In the meantime, folks, if anyone else has any other suggestions, or believe another troubleshooting procedure exists which hasn't been brought to surface yet, please feel free to discuss.

Thank you once again SilentlyScreaming and to all further incoming advisers.