PDA

View Full Version : BZN life...

gijoe
28th Jul 2005, 01:58
So there I am coffeeing away the hours at BZZ waiting for an incoming, not departing for a change, aircraft - and because it is my turn to do the pickup the said aircraft arrived at 0340...

....Things got so desperate I read SROs and a couple of other leaflets.

Q. Has anyone ever benefitted from the Lean and Waste Reduction Sqn/unit/thingy??

I read that it's headed by a Gp Capt - surely there's fat there?

Q. Why is it APOE ? What about when you arrive back ?

Q. Is Fwd Sp Wg really forward?

My guess here - someone went to the College of Knowledge and thought close sp and gen sp were good names. Oxon is not my idea of fwd sp so can one of you blue guys explain the thinking behind that one to this green guy?

Q. Why do the P1 guys and gals insist on telling you that 'you can't have aliens living with you' in mob accommodation?

Lots of ammo for the mickey-takers there.

BEagle - is this why you pulled the black and yellow handle?

G(tired):hmm:

6foottanker
28th Jul 2005, 21:30
This thread might make Stn Execs in the morning!

Interesting you should mention LEAN, as it's just being implemented on the VC10 force. And I haven't seen enough to comment on its success or failure before you ask. Here's hoping it works well, and is sorted out before bolthole and the Sqn moving to south side combine to cause utter chaos on 101!

gijoe
29th Jul 2005, 07:35
6ft,

I know it's very easy to look in from the outside and giggle but these are some of the best examples of 'bluntism' that I've seen, and read about on here, for a long time.

Discuss.

G(rested) :ok:

cheekeymonkey
29th Jul 2005, 12:01
gijoe,

I dont know much about your other questions...but APOD is the reference for your disembarkation point := So Brize is both an APOE and an APOD, depending which way you're going! :8

Laters! :ok:

gijoe
29th Jul 2005, 14:21
Cheeky,

Fair answer - but you're not 'Ding' if you're 'Eing' if you see what I mean.

What wrong with 'airport'?

G

6foottanker
29th Jul 2005, 15:56
You don't get a nice new TLA or FLA from'airport'. Where's the fun in that?

MrBernoulli
29th Jul 2005, 20:07
Nah, don't like 'airport'. Prefer 'airfield' myself. Whats wrong with 'RAF Brize Norton'?

APOD ........ bog off!!!!!!! Its a load of a4se!

6foottanker
30th Jul 2005, 00:33
Well said, my ginger friend! Stop creating jobs and names for the sake of it, and put your money into supporting the guys that are doing the job, day in day out, without any complaining.

buoy15
30th Jul 2005, 12:03
I might be guesing, but I think it has something to do with the Home Office immigration policy thingy - for tracking illegal immigrants, terrorists and benefit cheats

Actual Point Of Entry and Actual Point Of Departure

Neccessary to stop the Legal Aid crooks delaying proceedings on wording technicalities

16 blades
1st Aug 2005, 06:15
"BZN Life..."

...an oxymoron, surely?

:E

16B

Mr C Hinecap
1st Aug 2005, 07:13
Gentlemen
Get some multinational/international time in. Designations that are understood across the nations and designate differences (APOD = Air as opposed to SPOD = Sea) are rather useful - saves translating every time. Things tend to be designated in the forward-facing direction, hence Embarkation and Disembarkation.
Fwd & Depth isn't too bad an idea - not the worst I've seen - and that is RAF-wide, not just Brize. :ooh:

brakedwell
1st Aug 2005, 09:10
Surely Brize Norton is an AERODROME. At least it was when I was there!

MadsDad
1st Aug 2005, 09:20
Doesn't it depend on the number of runways?

(1 runway = Airstrip;
> 1 Runways = Aerodrome)

(Only asking).

gijoe
1st Aug 2005, 09:21
Mr Hinecap,

Good answer about the APOE - I think you're probably right.

I didn't realise the FWD Sp thing was pan-RAF.

So which bits are in the rear and which bits are forward on an aerodrome?

G

brakedwell
1st Aug 2005, 09:41
MadsDad
According to my copy of Aircraft and the Air printed in October 1936, any ground or water area which is definate and limited and which is used for landings and departures is know as an aerodrome. The term airport refers to those landing grounds that have Customs clearance facitiities. Aerodromes may be divided into three classes. (1) Royal Air Force aerodromes. (2) Licenced civil aerodromes. (3) Unlicenced civil aerodromes.

P.S. I was not stationed at BZN in 1936 as I didn't come off the production line until 1937!

MadsDad
1st Aug 2005, 13:05
Thanks for the clarification brakedwell.

Then again I thought AirFields might only be the ones with grass runways, no tarmac.

philrigger
1st Aug 2005, 15:10
According to the OED:

AIRFIELD - An area of land set aside for the take-off, landing and maintenance of aircraft.

AIRPORT - A Complex for civil aircraft comprising runways, hangars and passenger facilities.

AERODROME - A small airport or airfield.

I am now waiting for the exceptions.

BEagle
1st Aug 2005, 20:42
Brakedwell's definitions are correct. Except that rather than 'Royal Air Force' aerodromes, ever since the dung-eaters and grog-swillers began to fly from our hallowed turf, they have been termed 'Government' aerodromes.

Roadster280
5th Aug 2005, 01:12
Dung-eaters and grog-swillers? A tad harsh I feel. My go!

Crabs can't fight. A point they insisted on proving every Saturday night in the Grotlight when I was at BZZ. Endless successions of baby paras at PCAU (or whatever it's called now) all too keen to take on the gobby blue jobs. An excellent spectator sport as a "permanent green resident". I was in 244 Sig Sqn, part of TCW in Hangar 66. Hilarious to see that BZZ hasnt changed!

Did I read somewhere that TCW is moving to Scampton? 244 got merged with 21 Sig Regt at Colerne back in 92, when I left, but I think TCW stayed at BZZ. Anyone confirm?

BEagle
5th Aug 2005, 05:04
TCW (aka Two C***s and a Wireless) are occasionally at Brize, but more usually out of area supporting yet another of Trust-me-Tone's wars.