PDA

View Full Version : What a W(h)eeze

HTB
27th Jul 2005, 08:40
Saw a Ryanair ad in't newspaper yesterday offering flights at £15 to Dusseldorf, then in very small print and brackets (Weeze). I don't recall Weeze/Laarbruch ever being convenient for Dusseldorf (or many other places for that matter). I wouldn't like to pick up the taxi fare for that journey.

The admen at Ryan must have vivid imaginations, because they also think that Hahn is near Frankfurt and Charleroi near Brussels. Are there any other such flights of fancy in describing airport locations?

Navaleye
27th Jul 2005, 08:52
Well I can get to Southampton Apt quicker than I can to Stansted and at less cost.

Talking Radalt
27th Jul 2005, 08:53
I once overheard a Sleazyjet check-in clone ask a bloke if Nice would be a suitable alternate destination after they cancelled a flight to Paris. :rolleyes:

1.3VStall
27th Jul 2005, 08:55
Is there any truth in the rumour that Ryanair, after their latest tiff with Aer Rianta, are opening a new base at Dublin (Shannon)?

airborne_artist
27th Jul 2005, 08:57
And who was the bright spark who re-named Manston to London Manston, and then to Kent International Airport.

EUjet were KIA on Tuesday after running out of JetA1 tokens ...

BEagle
27th Jul 2005, 09:13
Charleroi Airport to Brussels? 56 km.

Niederrhein Airport (Laarbruch) to Dusseldorf? A mere 84 Km.

Where-the-hell-is-Hahn to Frankfurt? 122 Km.

No thanks, Micko!

(But to be fair, Gatport Airwick is 45 km from Central London, Lootnairpawt is 55 km, Chavsted is 63 km and 'London' Manston is 122 km!)

Gainesy
27th Jul 2005, 09:52
Didn't they have one advertised to Sweden that actually operates to someplace in Denmark (or vice versa)?

BEagle
27th Jul 2005, 10:25
Not sure about that one. But they do advertise 'Bratislava (Vienna)'!

airborne_artist
27th Jul 2005, 10:29
OTH Berlin Schoenfeld (former East German Air Force base, I was told) is very handy for Berlin, with a direct and Teutonically efficient rail link into the city centre.

Navaleye
27th Jul 2005, 10:35
Gainesy,

They used to advertise "Stockholm South" which was actually Skavsta. A good 1.hr 20 minutes by coach. Never again Mr O'leary.

haltonapp
28th Jul 2005, 13:47
Malmo (Sweden) was Ryanairs destination for Copenhagen (Denmark)!

Wycombe
28th Jul 2005, 16:58
.....Gerona for Barcelona (70km plus)

.....Carcasonne for Toulouse (about the same)

.....Treviso for Venice (not quite so bad)

By contrast, EZY fly to all of the second named airports above.

Yeller_Gait
28th Jul 2005, 17:52
Hamburg-Lubeck airport is 65 km from Hamburg.

In defence of (t)ryanair they often have a dedicated bus service that will take you to the destination city centre for very reasonable cost. IIRC, flying to Verona airport, it is a 1 hour bus journey into Verona centre, but the cost was only 20 Euro (and the bus journey takes you straight past the real Verona airport). When you add the cost of the bus journey to your £0-99 airfare it is still superb value.

I have never had any problems flying with any of the budget airlines and have always mangaged to get very cheap flights, even managed to book flights to Spain next month for £60 per person return, including taxes, and that is the most I have ever had to pay.