PDA

View Full Version : Lcra Opening Hours

KPax
25th Jul 2005, 18:19
What is going on out in the sunshine isle. AC being delayed at Wiltshire airbase because the ac were due to get to Akr after they had closed. Remember in the 90's half the staff but they still opened for Operational traffic. Surely in these days of increased Ops with fewer aircraft that someone on high should be telling them to remain open. Not for one moment suggesting the 'scribblies' remain after 1300, that really would be re-inventing the wheel.

propulike
25th Jul 2005, 22:56
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! What are you saying??????

Don't you like night stopping in Crete???

:E

BEagle
26th Jul 2005, 06:18
Are they really back to that game again? Back in the '70s we used to leave sunny Scampton at some ungodly hour in the Vulcan in order to arrive at Akrotiri as it oened - it then gave us a delay capability which we often needed.

Arrive, bus to Ops, then to Accounts Flight with those ridiculous 'Pay Books'. Always seemed to be shut - this was before cashpoint cards and wide availability of Cypriot pounds off the island.

But after a few brandy sours followed by the usual KebabEx it didn't seem to be such a problem!

"WHO HALLOUMI, WHO LIVER? Thank you sirs, yes please. More Kokinelli? Of course, sirs.........."

Happy times, really! Back when fun was still allowed....

MrBernoulli
26th Jul 2005, 10:53
"Welcome to Officers Mess, Akrotiri Sir. You like nice greek tossed salad Sir?

George the waiter ...... but then loads of them are called George, aren't they?

Kim Il Jong
26th Jul 2005, 12:32
Not often I come to the defence of air tragicers but... 0400 to 1500z is all that PJHQ is prepared to pay to staff so thats all they've got. If PJHQ occasionally require an OOH move then they sanction it and then it happens.

Kpax was right about the Scribblies though.

maxburner
26th Jul 2005, 12:32
LCRA - I love the place. My last trip through there was just a night-stop, so we had to combine the first night kebab with a last night frenzy. The result was a very nasty hangover. I was very glad of a hydraulic leak induced delay the next morning. The infamous Akrotiri window seemed a thing of the past, however. I'm almost pleased to see it's back in place 'cos if I suffered 0200 starts then I don't see why everyone else should get away with it.

G Fourbee
26th Jul 2005, 18:18
Well, "George" is as large as life to me today! I'd like bacon, egg sausage and fried bread please George - "Yes Seer, THEIS is Officers Mess!

Happy Days!

XFTroop
27th Jul 2005, 12:08
In the early 70's, I recall "racing the sun" in Albert from Masirah to Akro via the old northerly Cento Route ( Iran/Turkey an' stuff); The itinerary published by 38GP/46Gp/1Gp???or whatever we were then, invariably had an ETA Akro at opening time (0800L in those days I think) with a NOT BEFORE caveat.
Anyway, to cut a short story long, on this particular occassion we had to delay our departure (as usual) to make the window. As it happens we were giving a lift to a Shawbury ATC trapper chappy who had been wandering around MEAF (Middle East Airforce for you younger ones) doing trapping stuff. He spent most of the flight up front with us, and inevitably the subject of the Akro window was discussed (and even cussed). Together with him we came up with a "cunning plan".
When Niccy control handed us over to Akro at spot on 0800L, our Co-pilot hit the Tone button, (peep! or was it peep-peep, can't remember)
We became SPEECHLESS ONE!
( We also had a couple of obscure simulated problems for them to cope with including compass failure heehee )
Although it probably took us an extra 15-20 minutes before we could unwind with a cold Keo, we decided it was 1-nil to us!!
Needless to say that the usual friendly waving hand from the tower as we taxied past was more of a multi fingered gesture. Little did they know of the treat our pax had in store for them.
It has to be said however, ATC weren't wholly to blame for the restrictive oprating hours, and in the event, they did a grand job (considering they had not had time even for their first cuppa ).

:E:cool:

maxburner
27th Jul 2005, 12:48
Ah George the waiter! I remember asking once if the chocolate gateau was good. He replied 'This is the officer mess Akrotiri, everything is good. The cake, however, was good yesterday.'

D-IFF_ident
27th Jul 2005, 15:13
LCRA? Love the place, happily do a tour there. Just one problem though - anyone know of any posts for multi engine pilots? Seems the Navs have got them all (both that is) - maybe the JOCC in Epi; any pilot posts there?

6foottanker
27th Jul 2005, 15:20
It was starting to get silly not so long ago this year, when the nights were starting to get shorter, and we were having to stay on the ground in Basraaaaaagh just so we wouldn't get there before the buggers at LCRA got out of their air conditioned shacks. None of the 'opening for operational requirements' there.

However, it was all sorted out eventually, but they can still only handle the equivalent pax load of a baby buggy before they start crinkling under the 'pressure'.

Come on staffers, get it right, you can't be short of volunteers for the place, and apart from the bases in the desert/mountains, it's the most operational place we have, and we need it to operate as such.

lurkposition
27th Jul 2005, 21:03
Hey D-IFF_ident...

Do what I did.

Leave the mighty C130, survive the perils of DHFS and spend a tour flying rotary - half days, sun skiing, Keo, Brandy sours,etc,etc.

epic!

Kim Il Jong
28th Jul 2005, 06:31
D-IFF_Ident,

You sound like the man for SFSO or Stn Ops type bloke. Don't forget though... it's not a sunshine tour:cool: