PDA

View Full Version : OE / Email Has Given Up Sending / Receiving

Hew Jaz
24th Jul 2005, 22:34
Help! Required please!

Using OE6 for ages now. All was well until couple of days ago. Server timed out etc - would I like to wait longer etc. Have noticed this happening a couple of times, but it usually clears ok, perhaps within a coupe of minutes.

This time though, I can't send or receive email. I have tried a couple of ISP's but it doesn't make any difference.

I can connect to the net ok (obviously), but just receive errors when checking email. Have checked settings and they are ok.

Any thoughts??

Conan the Librarian
25th Jul 2005, 10:27
Are you attempting to connect to an ISPs' dedicated mail servers? Or are you trying to access hotmail or what have you?

If the former, then it may be that your ISP has had a little problem. Try sending them a message via their webpage or webmail. (You could be really radical and telephone them) This one is not that uncommon. If they change something at the server end, some of their users may find that a previously stable email account hiccups until it is reset from the far end.

If you are accessing a free or global email account, then further details might help us help you.

Conan

Hew Jaz
25th Jul 2005, 16:24
Hi Conan

I have a coulpe of email addresses with different ISP's. I thought initially that it may have been the ISP that I usually connect with, but when I have the same problem with each different ISP, (dialling into each one individually) I suspected it to be the PC.

Course as I type, I'm thinking that maybe I can restore the PC to an earlier date when I know there were no problems...

Will let you know.

Cheers

LRM

Conan the Librarian
25th Jul 2005, 16:34
Thing is that if your server settings are correct in OE then you are routing to that particular ISPs email server and should get any mail. Have you altered anything in OE of late? Seems odd that none of your seperate accounts are working.

Let me think.....

Conan

maxell
25th Jul 2005, 19:22
has your antivirus program updated recently if so your firewall may be blocking your antivirus mail checker and not telling you

Conan the Librarian
25th Jul 2005, 22:18
I need to talk to my mate Daz about this one - but you haven't recently installed SP2 have you? That puts a Microsoft sized sticking plaster over the chasms of ooze that they left open originally.

If so and you are running a seperate anti V/Internet security package, the two could potentially clash. If so, go to control panel/security centre and turn off the MS bells and whistles. Nearly all third party firewall/antiV packages should recognise this, but there is a chance that a few oddballs might not.

Here to help if I can and blue flashing light fitted to wig...

Conan

Hew Jaz
26th Jul 2005, 13:26
Ah, yes, it's something to do with my Norton AV. Have temporarily disabled it totally to see what might happen, and guess what? My email started working again. Will need to check the specific settings and firewall etc, but at least I know where I should be looking now!

Thanks for info & help,:D

Rgrds

HJ

Background Noise
26th Jul 2005, 13:32
Had a very similar problem, same few days ago, with outlook. (I think there had been a recent Norton update by the way - not sure if it is significant). As soon as I disabled the firewall the send/receive worked without problems. In the end, shortly before reinstalling Norton, I removed all the program rules from the firewall/configuration/programs (or somesuch) window and let all the permissions/rules etc start again from scratch ie each time I ran program or connected etc I got a new pop-up saying Norton has created rules for ............. . Now it works fine.

Editted:

Ah - beaten to it by your own reply!

Hew Jaz
3rd Aug 2005, 10:46
Have been away from my pc for a few days.

So, thanks for info so far. Have tried playing around with Norton AV settings, and removed Outlook Express from the list. OE didn't unfortunately ask for permission to access the net, although it will dial in ok, but just won't connect to the various servers, unless I disable Norton:ugh:

Norton did update recently alright, and on reflection it was about that time that the problems started, but I haven't managed to fix it yet.

Any other suggestions?? Please:{

Regards

HJ

Conan the Librarian
3rd Aug 2005, 12:21
Presumably you are using Norton Internet Security, which has the firewall and anti V in the one package. I am using the 2005 version, but all are essentially similar.

Going fomr what you have written and if I have nderstood it correctly, then Outlook will run if the firewall is disabled, but Norton has not alerted you to any rules it has created, to allow OE to be your email client. If so, read on. What is needed is to add OE to the Norton list of allowed progs and it is a cinch.

1. Open Norton Int Sec.

2. Go to "personal firewall" or similar, depending on version.

3. Click the Programs tab.

4. you see a list of progggies. at the bottom of this window,, click "add" if OE isn't there, or "modify" if it is and work from there.

This will manually configure Norton to accept OE tramsactions without getting its' knickers in a twist.

While you are at it, just go into the MS Security Centre (In the control panel) and check that the MS firewall isn't running as well. Only use one firewall! You should be able to give us a sitrep if needed.

Merry Mousing,

Conan

Hew Jaz
4th Aug 2005, 11:14
Mmm, now I really am stuck! Have tried your suggestion, manually configured Norton (it is the 2005 version with f/wall etc) and also tried telling it to permit all, inbound/outbound etc. But, still no joy.....

Refuses to check email, unless I disable it:(

Have also checked MS Firewall which is off, just leaving Norton as the firewall.

All was fine until recently, so I'm a wee bit lost now:hmm:

Cheers

HJ

Conan the Librarian
4th Aug 2005, 12:29
Have had a look at my own settings for OE, within Norton 2005 and by going to "Firewall" and then "Configure" and "Programs"my settings read as Automatic and Multiple.

Background Noise made a very good point a little earlier, by removing references to OE and letting Norton rewrite the rules when you next start it. This might be worth a try as well.

Just thinking about this a little - have you or anybody else done anything at all to the router of late?

Conan

Hew Jaz
5th Aug 2005, 22:55
Thanks for all the suggestions. Have tried them all, but NAV doesn't offer to create new rules. It simply doesn't check the email. Problem then progressed to not allowing any web pages to open, but that seems ok now.

Have looked at Symantec site, but no joy there. Followed their suggestions also, but no happiness!

Latest solution which seems to work, although only trying at moment. Disable Norton Firewall permanently, and enable Windows so that I at least have a firewall. It is definitely the firewall and not the privacy settings etc.

I don't think I can re-install Norton as it was an online purchase so I don't have a disk. It downloaded and installed and worked fine for 10 months, until last week:(

Will see how this option goes and will report back .... soon hopefully...:)

Cheers

HJ

Conan the Librarian
6th Aug 2005, 02:03
You can re do Norton. Send them an email to confirm your registration and tell them what you want to do. they will give you the info that you need to re install it.

Still perplexed here - but if you have a working solution, it is all you need...

Conan

Hew Jaz
6th Aug 2005, 10:11
Mmm, still I a bit confused myself. Will send an email to Symantec and see how I get on.

It's definitely the firewall though. Usiing the Windows one doesn't cause any problems, and I have the Norton one turned off.

As you say, I have a working solution - but not the answer....:)

Cheers for the help,

HJ :ok:

Conan the Librarian
6th Aug 2005, 13:27
I hesitate to write this, in case it muddies the water even further, but it does sound as though a port has been blocked, which was why I was asking previously about the router.

Do let us know - this one, is as well as being a PIA. somewhat fascinating...

Conan

Hew Jaz
6th Aug 2005, 15:14
Ah yes, forgot to mention that I'm not using a router, only dial up at the moment.

Awaiting broadband, but that is a BIG pia and a v long story!:mad:

I don't know enough about this, but could I have a blocked port using dial up? And if so, where should I look?

Will keep posting as results happen..:D

HJ

Conan the Librarian
6th Aug 2005, 20:42
Less likely now Hew... Routers often have firewalls themselves and add another layer of security, which is usually quite well behaved. You don't get that with dial up so it shouldn't be an issue here.

When you do get broadband, you will love it and wonder how you ever did without it. Press on! As Claire Rayner might have once said...

Conan

Golden Rivet
7th Aug 2005, 08:41
Hew

You haven't by any chance downloaded the latest version of Zone Alarm ?

:rolleyes:

Mac the Knife
7th Aug 2005, 10:23
Hmmm.... I had something like this a couple of weeks ago. I could receive mail but not send it - all the systems (Linux and M$) were affected so I knew it wasn't OS specific. Thought it must have been the ADSL router so upgraded the Netgear firmware - still no joy. Tried on dialup - still blocked.

Spend a dog's age on the blower with my ADSL/ISP's collection of half-trained morons
"You should reinstall Windows"
"I'm not running Windows"
"TCP/IP isn't supported on other operating systems"(sic.)

Eventually found someone who knew what they were talking about and he suggested I switch to another of the smtp servers - problem solved. The original smtp server for some reason has stopped authenticating me.

When something suddenly stops working (esp. in Windows)
1) DON'T immediately start fiddling!
2) Reboot - if that doesn't work..
3) Cold boot - if that doesn't work
4) Shut down and try again in an hour - if that doesn't work
5) Try again next day.

PCs/OSes are now so complex that they are almost organic - they have moods and end-of-month blues and sometimes hiccough for all sorts of obscure and transient reasons that often go away by themselves eventually. Start tinkering only if the glitch is very persistent - most scrambled systems that I've seen have been due to user fiddling when patience would have been better.

PS: If you system is unstable or unpredictable try running Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ - Memtest should run without ANY errors - if you DO get errors you may need to tinker with the FSB speed or memory timings or even replace cheapo no-name memory with branded (and alas more expensive) memory like Geil or Corsair.

Hew Jaz
7th Aug 2005, 13:49
Ah yes, had broadband, moved an now I don't ...yet... Just like going back to watching B&W tv, with rabbits ears and no remote....
:p

No, haven't used Zonealarm recently. Tried it at one stage a while ago, but it and Norton didn't seem to like each other. But that was long before my troubles started. NAV has been fine for 10months until recent update.

Will try memtest and see how that goes, although I didn't adjust settings before email stopped working. But as I said previously, with Windows Firewall on, and Norton fw off, email is happy again. But thats not the real solution..

Cheers

HJ

Background Noise
8th Aug 2005, 21:05
There's a microsoft update - KB900930 - HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900930) which includes the phrase - "Additionally, this update addresses two issues in which Outlook Express stops responding."

Hew Jaz
10th Aug 2005, 12:42
Background Noise

Well, it seems to have been the Micro$oft Update that has my email & Norton back on speaking terms!

I did have a look at the M$ site, but although I saw a patch for Outlook, I didn't see that one for Outlook Express. Anyway, I followed your suggested link, downloaded it, restarted PC and connected to the net etc. This time Norton *has* started automatically creating the various rules. (Re-creating the ones I deleted previously)

*And* the email is sending and receiving!! Happy days...

Thanks to all for the help and info and advice

Cheers for now

HJ:ok: :ok: