PDA

View Full Version : Re-mustering

tablet_eraser
24th Jul 2005, 14:18
Question on behalf of a bluntie friend. She's sick to death of her current branch for a variety of reasons, and is looking at remustering to another branch that would better suit her skills (excuse me if I'm a little vague). Does anyone know the procedure for doing this, and what her general chances of success are (she's wanting to transfer from a branch with a bit of a manning shortage).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Pontius Navigator
24th Jul 2005, 14:27
Locate the branch sponsor of the branch seh wants to go to. Find out if they need her.

Let me guess, she is in flt ops or int?

Big Cheese1
24th Jul 2005, 17:45
Is Int that bad?

I was chatting with one of the guys on JROC not too long ago and he left Int for the Regt saying it was crap!

Pontius Navigator
24th Jul 2005, 18:03
Int, like Ops, is great if you are only there for a tour. Both were good tours for resting aircrew who, Herc copilots excepted, had usually got a belt of experience on type and role that they could bring to bear on the current job.

Apart from the time servers, shoved into the posts until they retired that is.

An Int weenie has no experience or credibility on day one and has to work hard at it. The course tells you to provide the Intelligence that the Commander wants. Now more often than not the Commander either does not know or does not tell you what he wants. If he does tell you it is for a brief in n minutes where n is a time about half the time it would take to even think about a brief.

The old aircrew mate OTOH can drag out a basic brief from his back pocket. He knows the questions to ask and people to ask.

My hardest brief started at 1645 on a Friday (post-libyan bombing) and I needed Libyan gen, which we did not have, PDQ. The Intel guys at Strike would not play ball as they had the self-same problem preparing a brief for CINC who would then decide when and where to send the sqn! Chicken and egg.

The simplest question however was 'How do we tell the difference between a Libyan or Moroccan Mirage?'

SmilingKnifed
24th Jul 2005, 20:35
I have to agree with Pontius in that credibility amongst jnr offrs is one of the Int Branch's main problems and something I didn't feel the course addressed (the change in instructional personnel since may have helped).

I'd also agree with my former colleague (now successfully through JROC) that it didn't seem to offer a great career progression, unless you fancy working nights in the AWC!