PDA

View Full Version : CDRW not reading disks

CPTVOR
24th Jul 2005, 14:07
Got a Dell Dimension 8400 thats only one month old but doing some funny things. Initially it wouldnt read the 2nd disk of any multi disk loads but that has been rectified by deleting a program called Sonic that came with the PC. Now I have a problem that the CDRW simply wont aknowledge the presence of certain disks. Its not the disks themselves as Ive tried them in other PC's but was wondering if it is likely to be a software conflict with other loaded software and, if so, whats the best way to fault find through this
cheers

Conan the Librarian
24th Jul 2005, 14:37
Not saying that it is the cause, but it has happened to me on a couple of machines. There is a certain "tolerance" (as in everything) with CD/RW/DVD drives and if a disk has been written on a machine at one end of the tolerance and is attempting to be read by another unit at the other end of the scale, it might not work. If you are confident that your disks are ok, then get in touch with suppliers and tell them what has happened. I am sure that they will be fine, but be prepared for some smartass on a bonus that might claim that your other machine is at fault. You can tell them that you have checked it on more machines than one and that it is your pride and joy that throws the wobbly.

Regards,

Conan

dazdaz
24th Jul 2005, 17:36
while making my mind up with downloading SP2 (service pack two) for my windows xp upgrade. Your problem was discussed on the site (cannot read dvd-rw/cd-rw) Microsoft upgrade site. Seems SP2 has a patch for this problem. Check it out.

Daz