PDA

View Full Version : Poor and confused....

jetgirl_99
23rd Jul 2005, 22:23
Hey All.
I know there are plenty of posts from wannabes but just wanted opinions from you all.

Have just started a job as cabin crew, hate the job and all the damn 'office politics' but, as i thought, absolutely adore the fact that I'm working within aviation. Have always been an enthusiast, and am now seriously considering doing/starting some pilot training.

What is the best way to go? I'm not particulary well off, the only asset is my car, which I could flog to pay for my PPL but then I would be stuck. Am in the process of applying for the CTC aviation programme but I know that'll be outrageously hard to get into, although I'll give it my best.

Is it worth getting into all that debt. especially when all my costs incurred will be loans? Is it better to do something intensive over in the states and try and save a few pounds?
The company i work for have a few former cabin crew who are now F/O's and recently heard you can join with as little as 250 hours.

Some friendly, honest advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

CAT3C AUTOLAND
24th Jul 2005, 07:25
Mmmm.....tough one. Sorry to hear you hate your job, however, you could use it to your advantage to get to know the right people to help you to get to where you want to be in the future.

I am sure there are alot of people who use this forum who have had to do things they didnt want to do, myself included, to get to where they want to be, I guess it is taking the rough with the smooth.

Its a shame that the likes of HSBC have withdrawn their Professional Studies Loan, I am sure this will cause potential pilots problems obtaining the money required for the training, however is it not all doom and gloom. I am not sure on your circumstances, but if you have time on your side, why not save substantial amounts of cash, or as much as you can, and then approach a bank for the difference. At least this will show you are committed and you will not be a liability to the bank in the future when it comes to paying the loan off, hopefully by this time you will have an airline job and it won't be a problem.

You asked whether having the debt is worth it? I am sure there are mixed opinions on this, personally I think the answer is yes. If being a pilot is what you really want to do, why be miserable for the rest of your life and think what if? As long as you can manage your debt in the future and live within your means, it shouldn't be a problem.

You mentioned CTC, yes it will be tough, but if your not in it, you cannot win it. Cadets have to be selected, and it might be you :D.

At the moment I am instructing, and to be quite honest, going to work in the morning is a pleasure, and it really does not seem like work! I am have never had a job like that before :D I am looking forward to the airline job, which hopefully will come along in the future.

All the best, hope it works out for you.

Mercenary Pilot
24th Jul 2005, 09:49
Hey Jetgirl

Don’t sell the car! The best thing to do is keep your job because I have a couple of hostess friends who are training to be pilots, their respective airlines have given them time off and promised them interviews when they complete their training. You should start working towards your PPL, try saving up for a couple of hours per month. Don’t rush into anything with regards to flight training, mistakes are extremely costly!

Definitely apply to CTC, their holding pool is open again and I know 2 people who have got into the scheme recently.

AndyDRHuddleston
24th Jul 2005, 18:49
Hey Jetgirl,

There are a few scholarships that you can apply for funding for a PPL, hours or even a full ATPL. I have copied a few links below for you to look at.

http://www.airleague.co.uk/scholarships.html
http://www.bwpa.co.uk/page7.html
http://www.gapan.org/career/scholarships/schols05.htm

I would also highly recommend the Clive Hughes book 'Guide to becoming a Professional pilot' too. This book provides an insight into the different routes to the front. In the long run you will save more money than the cost of the book, so for approx £25 its a bargain. Below is a link to his website:

http://www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk/

I have copied another link below for you. This is BALPA (British Airline Pilots Assoc,) and they have a host of info on becoming a professional pilot.

http://www.balpa.org.uk/intranet/How-to-bec/index.htm

Hope this helps

ADRH

Jinkster
24th Jul 2005, 19:33
Hey Jetty,

Its a pain in the neck......keep looking at all the companies that do sponsorships. They tend to come round at the back end of the year!

;)

Fizzy Bear
25th Jul 2005, 14:25
Stick with the job jetty girl. I have heard the same thing through the jungle about getting an interview with the same airline after doing cabin crew. Shows there is some (but not alot) loyalty left in the world. Look at going for a CAA class 1 sorted - £420 I think but a one off payment! Get a PPL in the USA which is alot cheaper and great fun - about £4000 after flights, acomm, food, licence application fee blah blah etc - recommned OFT @ Kissimmee. See how you feel after then?! Its an affiliated Cabair school and an ideal way to complete a modular training programme which would look good to prospective future employers. You can add on the CPL/FI/ME/IR/MCC etc when you arrange some finance and stuff. Check out a career development loan through Co-op bank/Barclays/RBS. See what you think?! :O

Fizzy

jetgirl_99
25th Jul 2005, 21:20
Thanks to everyone who has replied, some fantastic advice there.

I'm liking Fizzy bears ideas, I'm only 22, so still (i hope) have time to do some saving and sorting out of life!

If i get laid off after my seasonal contract is up, I'll definitely be off to do my PPL, who knows what happens after!

Thanks again and I'll keep you all updated!