PDA

View Full Version : FAT's on Tuesday!

nick0021
23rd Jul 2005, 21:21
Hi guys,

Am travelling to RAF Cranwell on Monday for my FAA FAT's, and am shall we say 'cacking it!'!!

I have just spent the past hour trawling trough the search engine both on here and on Google, in order to try and find some more speed/distance/time practice tests, which has been to no avail. I was wondering if anyone might have a link to any helpful sites? sorry if this post is a nuisance.

Fingers crossed it all goes well, ill let you know of the results!!

Regards to all,

Nick

'FLY NAVY!'

ImageGear
24th Jul 2005, 08:51
This has been done to death on these forums - a simple forum search on "Aptitude & tests" will bring up a host of threads.

Here is one I think gives a good overview:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126284&highlight=speed+distance+time+maths

Though I must say you should have been doing this stuff for months, if not years before now.

Navy or RAF Pilot, You MUST want to fly so badly you can taste it, feel it, touch it, breath it and ache at every moment to leave the ground.

Focus every bit of your life's effort on achieving the objective of getting on the first step. Demonstrate an unnatural eagerness to achieve this, and treat every subsequent step as if it is your last chance of ever making it.

People speak of becoming an officer first, absolutely this is a crucial step towards your ultimate goal.

You must peak with everything booming at exactly the right time and place.

Then you might just be successful.

(Am I over the top - nah seen it with my own eyes)

Imagegear

Taffer
24th Jul 2005, 15:04
Well, OASC Cranwell must have sent you out some literature about what each of the tests involve.

Flight Sim is very good for the flight instrumentation and orientation tests - if you're familiar with the cockpit instruments of a Cessna 152, you'll have no problems. All you have to do is relate what the instruments are telling you to a visual representation or description of what the aircraft is doing. If you've actually flown an aircraft, this bit will be easy peasy.

Speed/Distance/Time questions are just mental arithmetic - dig up some old school books and get revising! Plenty of stuff on the 'net as well.

The cancelling exercise and left/right/up/down orientation (man with paddles) both rely on quick, correct reactions - computer games help with this!

The graph/table reading exercises rely on speed, but most importantly the accuracy of the information you are looking for.

I remember coming out of the tests a bit drained, thinking I'd failed. In fact, I scored top marks in most of the pilot and observer criteria - I also passed for air traffic, which was an added bonus.

Good luck with the FATs - you will be stressed when doing them, as you should be working at your limit - how quicly/slowly you move through the questions is entirely up to you! You know you've worked hard when your anti-perspirant gives up the ghost about half way through! :ok: