PDA

View Full Version : Who do you look up to?

Trentino
23rd Jul 2005, 21:19
Hello gang. Just thought of this question when I was flying yesterday.
Who do you look up to?
Personally I have a few heros. They are mostly left seat holders and grey. One of those greybeards is in his 80's. On the ground he comes across as a guy who cant handle a motorbike let alone an aircraft. In the air however he changes into superman. His situational awareness is through the roof he tends to joke and smile more..makes you comfortable, admits he's wrong.. a real pleasure to fly with. His handflying skills are not perfect but then again who is...but let me tell you, the wisdom and the knowledge this individual has makes me chuckle at all those individuals who come across as cocky and have nothing between the ears.
Real humble and low key....wouldnt mind havnt him as a grandpa

if you guys dont mind, please limit your answers to fellow aviators.

Farrell
24th Jul 2005, 02:20
One of my best friends is a pilot in Air France.

Great guy; young captain; meticulous in everything that he does.

Amazing pilot, who has inspired and encouraged me from the moment I decided to become one myself.

Left Wing
24th Jul 2005, 02:27
Quite similar, in this case its my Dads best friend in his 80's does not fly any more.
But still walks a mile to local tennis club every day and some real stories about flying Connies in the ole good days of aviation; and still out drinks some of the young blood pilots.:ok:

CanberraGuy
24th Jul 2005, 07:00
Captain Meryl Getline (United 777 Capt.)- She's done some pretty amazing things and If I can get half as far as she has during her career I'll retire knowing I've accomplished something in my life.

westhawk
24th Jul 2005, 07:18
Earnest K. Gann.

He flew DC-2s -3s and -4s around half the world during an era of true pioneering aviation accomplishment. He considered himself to be just like any of thousands of others likewise employed. (albeit luckier than some) But he had something else too. In his career memoir "Fate is the hunter", he demonstrates an uncanny knack for capturing the essence of the pilot mindset or personna of the day. I wonder how many thousands of other pilots have been inspired to perservere by this personal account. What we do these days will never be anywhere near as romantic or adventurous as flying was in those days. But as someone once said (in a movie I think) " It's not much of a war, but it's the only one we've got." Or something to that effect. In any case, whatever it is that makes me keep at it, the effect has not worn off just yet. Neither has it abandoned a 90 year old gentleman I know who started a career in DC-2s and finished in DC-10s. He still flies his C-310 every week.

meatball
25th Jul 2005, 16:43
several folk come to mind...a few of them for just exactly the opposite of what one " looks up to." on the positive side,mark luman, who taught me DC 3 secrets galore; john roper for his falcon 20 and worldly insight, all guys i spent many hours aloft with, in and out of storms, un=controlled airports running freight at 3 a.m. all over america , mexico and canada. luman and roper were gentlemen of the skies and pro´s all the way...erik, a ex sabena 330 captain who wrung the best out of me at sabena in brussels for my type rating...young and bright, the new generation:ok:

John Eacott
25th Jul 2005, 22:08
My old man :D

Trained as a Beaufighter night pilot, operated from North Africa on shipping strikes, shot down, ditched, picked up by Arado floatplane, PoW, escaped three times, last time got away to the Americans. Then had to escape from them as they locked him up, too!! Inspector in the Met Police, S/Ldr RAAF, Order of Australia, still going strong with a dozen organisations. Knows a bit about aviation, too ;)

Couldn't want a better example to follow :ok:

the grim repa
25th Jul 2005, 23:21
my kids and lance armstrong.

barit1
27th Jul 2005, 00:34
westhawk - Gann is a favorite of many flyers (although he spelled his name Ernest :ok: ).

Another of his books, one that spans the gamut from Junkers trimotors to Boeing trimotors, is "Band Of Brothers". Only a writer with personal knowledge of the East, decades in the cockpit, and a deep curiosity about the underlying technologies of aviation, could write such a novel.

I've heard it is banned in Taiwan. :cool: