PDA

View Full Version : Windows xp SP2 upgrade

dazdaz
23rd Jul 2005, 16:08
Have any readers upgrade to the SP2 I keep getting an auto update prompt, no probs with that, but going further I have to download my HP manufactures updates before the download of SP2 And have you seen the 'possible' problems section after SP2 is downloaded on the Microsoft site????????? Guess I'm sticking with my old SP1 until the new Vista is launched 2006

Daz

BEagle
23rd Jul 2005, 19:33
I've has SP2 for ages - it works just fine for me.

willby
24th Jul 2005, 11:57
Hi.
Same experience as Be...............no problems with SP2
Willby

Memetic
24th Jul 2005, 15:49
Are you using any of the packages / hardware with known conflicts?

If not you have more to gain than loose by upgrading in my view.

Both my Windows machines, one XPhome and one XPPro are fine on SP2.

dazdaz
24th Jul 2005, 17:24
Still thinking about the upgrade, but reading the Microsoft site 97.99% of fixes don't apply to me. Have to download (according to HP) patches for Norton anti-virus to run (it does not like SP2) and a plethora for photo software already on my pc i.e. Image studio.

Q: Did you guys back-up your files before downloading SP2?

Daz

Conan the Librarian
24th Jul 2005, 17:43
Norton gets on fine with SP2 and as for your photo software, the only changes are to stop jpgs from harbouring nasties.

SP2 works wonderfully on my machine - blue screen ALL the time now :-) (jest for those weak of heart)

regards,

Conan

dazdaz
24th Jul 2005, 17:54
Did you all back-up your files before download?

Daz

Mad (Flt) Scientist
24th Jul 2005, 17:54
One machine running SP2 fine, one cannot - there's some kind of 'fix' for wireless encryption in SP2 that fixes MS's version but cripples non-MS systems (how unusual ....).

Consequently, the laptop stays on SP1, since I prefer encryption to SP2.

Oggin Aviator
24th Jul 2005, 18:59
Did you all back-up your files before download?
During the install from SP1 to SP2 it does a System Restore, so if it all goes wrong you can just restore back to where you were.

The only thing I dont like about SP2 is the cr*ppy pop up blocker that is a pain in the @rse. Because of it I just spent $230 more than I needed to on the USPS website and although it only took a fews seconds to get debited, it is going to take me weeks to get the money back!

Otherwise it is fine.

dazdaz
24th Jul 2005, 23:18
Thanks for the info guys. I'll give it a go.

Daz

Conan the Librarian
25th Jul 2005, 00:10
Well, he finally got there...that is the last we will see of Daz for a while... Good giggle not to tell him SP2 was the suicide pack to end 'em all, wasn't it?

Conan

BlueEagle
25th Jul 2005, 01:03
My neighbour needs SP2 for XPHome but it is an eight hour download on their dial-up connection. My attempts to download it and copy it to a CD have failed, something about an extractor missing! Anyone know where I can get SP2 on a CD, preferably without a ton and a half of spy and Ad ware! (Or a workable download that will copy completely to CD). Thanks.

FunkyMunky
25th Jul 2005, 01:55
From Microsoft, free of charge, one CD :) (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx)

Or if you dont want to wait too long:

Self-installing .exe that will burn to a CD nicely :) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en)

dazdaz
25th Jul 2005, 15:00
yO u Ro ttEn soD!!!!!!!!!!! m Y keY Board dr i vEr is up t he cr Eek

DD a z

Conan the Librarian
25th Jul 2005, 15:04
WeLcOmE Bbbbbackk Dddaz! :-)

egbt
25th Jul 2005, 15:20
DazDaz, sounds like it's to late for you, however......

As a general rule get to SP2 as soon as you can, it's more reliable and includes a lot of security fixes, but still apply all security fixes from MS as they are issued.

As with all upgrades avoid the standard problems by reading the instructions! The most common diagnostic on an IT help desk is "user error" and the easiest fix / avoidance is RFM ... Read the :mad: Manual.

A bit like flying ;)

regards

(IT Director with about 2,500 desk tops, and worse, 2,500 users :E )

dazdaz
25th Jul 2005, 16:18
nO ProbS I%m Wor kinG on i T

dAz

BlueEagle
26th Jul 2005, 00:09
Thanks Funky, I'll try them out.

Edit: And the download worked perfectly!:ok: