PDA

View Full Version : Aviation sights in Brisbane

Carry0nLuggage
22nd Jul 2005, 21:12
I'm going to be kicking my heels for a few days in Brisbane in the second week in August while Ms. Luggage is at a conference. Can anyone recommend any museums or other aviation related sights I could visit while I'm there?

Thanks for your ideas.

asw28-866
25th Jul 2005, 12:37
Could try Flying Fighters at Brisbane/Archerfield. Not a museum exactly, but active collection of interesting aircraft and restoration projects. You can wander around the Hangar actually 'touching the tin' for a measly $7! PM me if you want more info....

Regards

ASW28

Woomera
26th Jul 2005, 04:30
Air museum at Caloundra, only an hours drive north of Brisbane.

The Southern Cross at Brisbane Airport.

Actually, if it's antique aircraft you're interested in, almost any GA airport in Australia! :} :}

Woomera

Feather #3
26th Jul 2005, 08:49
A weekend trip to Caboolture wouldn't go astray! Plenty of vintage activity up there.

Make it a double with the QAM at Caloundra [you drive past Caboolture on the Bruce Highway.]

G'day ;)

Carry0nLuggage
27th Jul 2005, 22:56
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'd better get Googling and check them out. Doesn't look like I'll be bored. I'd quite like to see the Southern Cross and what warbirds are kept at Flying Fighters.

28th Jul 2005, 00:46
Was in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago, and visited the Museum on South Bank. Couple of aircraft (flying flea, Avro Avian, Beech twin) suspended from the ceiling, some floor based exibits, and a few wall mounted motors. Do check out Coulandra and QAV. Archerfield is worth a wander around.

Woomera
28th Jul 2005, 11:25
Carry0nLuggage. PM me and I'll see if the Dunnunda mob in XXXXLand can keep you entertained.

tipsy
28th Jul 2005, 11:53
I'll scratch CoL if he comes to Caloundra, but if Disco Stu is about I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking CoL to QAM.

Woomera can give Col Stu's mobile number

tipsy
:yuk: :yuk: furball:yuk: :yuk:
Don't lie, steal or cheat, the Government hates competition

JDK
29th Jul 2005, 00:02
Visited BrisVegas recently, guided by a native...

went to Flying Fighters - recommended
Southern Cross - recommended, but I was looking for the slot for the penny to make it go...

Also:
If you can get out to Toowoomba, you may be able to get access to the Lynette Zuccoli collection, at Aerotec. It's not much further to Oakey, the Museum of Army Flying, where Matt Denning's airworthy Boomerang is based.

The Beaufort restoration team is based in Brisbane too; if you like Big Bristols... http://www.beaufortrestoration.com.au/

Cheers!

Carry0nLuggage
4th Aug 2005, 22:43
Looks like I'll need all my holiday to see all of these! I like the idea of the Big Bristols, a pun worthy of Jetblast.

Less than a day before we're off. You'll recognise me, I'll be the jetlagged Pom hanging round old aircraft :ok:

jumpseater
5th Aug 2005, 09:51
Don't worry assorted Oz mates, we're sending you one that can drink!:ok:

asw28-866
10th Aug 2005, 10:51
COL,
If you are going to go to Flying Fighters, PM me and I'll see if I can be there to show you round!

Regards

ASW28

Woomera
17th Aug 2005, 11:28
So, COL. How was Brisvegas?? And I hope that lovely lady of yours enjoyed her conference!!

:}

Woomera

tinpis
23rd Aug 2005, 06:36
Didya see old Scotty in full flight?

:p

Carry0nLuggage
29th Aug 2005, 22:09
Back home now and catching up on emails and Pprune. Brisvegas is a great place, seems to have enough energy for the whole state.

Enjoyed Flying Fighters, once I'd found it was the far side of the airfield from everyone else :} Absolutely packed when I was there, lots to see. Interesting to see a tiny Ryan next to the Sea Fury.

Didn't get time to see any of your other suggestions. Did spend the evening in O'Reilly's Gesthouse in Lamington National Park reading about the Stimson which crashed there in the 30's on its way from Archerfield to Sydney. I knew of the story but not all the details. Bernard O'Reilly was quite a guy to find the two survivors in the bush there.

Ms C0L had an equally great time at the conference. She was impressed with the Southern Cross and the thought of crossing the Pacific in it.

Now saving up for a return visit.