PDA

View Full Version : It's funny how things work out...

zomerkoning
21st Jul 2005, 12:13
It's really funny how things work out. I've been looking into becoming a pilot for nearly a year now. Going to the various flying school in Holland, where I live, but also to Spain (FTE, Aeromadrid), Germany (Intercockpit and Lufthansa), Belgium and the UK (OAT).

After succesfully getting through the selection tests at Aeromadrid, FTE I really thought I had everything figured out. I was going to go to FTE as I thought it would be the best choice.

Sadly the major problem which all of us face crept up on me, money. As my parents went bankrupt in their early 30's (running a discotheque is spain :) they have been struggling to build up a nice pension, which they have done quite succesfully. The only thing they don't have (especially after financing me through college for 5 years) is the security for a 120.000 Euro loan (96.000 + the interest for the time your training).

So I was stuck. Untill I heard of EPST in The Netherlands who are alligned with OAT and have a financing sceme which alows me to borrow the money and EPST will put up the security. As I had also heard some great things about OAT, I thought I'd try and get in.

I have to say the selection tests were no walk in the park. Of the 40 people who started with me on wednesday, I was the only one who made it (with a couple being allowed back within 1 month for a re-test). Usually there are more people who get through, but is does show probably why they can take the risk with putting up the security.

So what's the end result you may ask... Well I'll be starting at OAT next year in May. Need to sort out some things with work first (major bonus at the end of the year I don't want to miss). It's strange to think I've been all over Europe to look at flightschool and where do I end up, Oxford U.K. :)

Does this mean I think OAT is the best school? Not really, if I had to choose it would be a hard choice for me between FTE and OAT. Both seem highly organized, well run outfits with lots of good reviews. In the end it's a choice where do you feel at home and more importantly, can you get the money to go there??

I think the most important thing is that if you want to become a pilot, try as hard as you can and in the end somewhere, somehow you'll find a way to get there. Be it intergrated, modular or though some other way.... Look at me, it took me a year, it took me a lot of sweat and tears, but I've finally got my ticket to start training...

To everyone also wanting to start training, you always need a bit of luck, but you can get 90% of the way by just continuing to keep trying..