PDA

View Full Version : Lu Zuckerman

Alex Zuckerman
21st Jul 2005, 07:40
This is the first time that I have ever posted to this site,actually the firsttime I have ever posted to ANY site. I'm attempting this because of our Dad's great appreciation and respect for all of the members of PPRune (well,maybe some more than others...) that he came into contact with during the past few years.
Lu Zuckerman retired in dignity and peacefully,this past Saturday in the hospital in Monteral,Quebec.
His last words are rumored to have been something along the line of "Well, F*** Y** Sidney - I've got better things to do than hang around here and get wasted with you - so I'll pick up my wings and be gone" It was very peaceful and relativly quick - he was with his family and it was the way he preferred,sooner rather than later.
I spoke with him today at the service we had to see him off, and he wants everyone that knew and cared about him to know that he's doing great - no more illness or pain, a lot better view and an incredible PFPD (personal flight propulsion device) that is suppossedly maintenance free (?) He said he was very impressed but after a bit mor personal time with the system he believes that some slight modifications to the leading edge may increase...

Thank all of you - from all of us - more than we'll ever be able to say.
Family of Sam Zuckerman

treadigraph
21st Jul 2005, 08:09
Thanks Alex, so wonderfully put.

You know, there's a bloody good flying club bar up there somewhere wherin can be found the great and the good departed of Aviation, whom I'll bet are buying their latest member a glass or few of his favourite snifter ... with the appropriate toast "up yours" addressed to Fate, or Sidney, or both.

We earthbound mortals should do the same, and in the pub this evening I will.

Treadders

gaunty
21st Jul 2005, 14:02
Thanks Alex.

I only ever understood half of the amazing stuff he plumbed from that unbelievably deep well of experience and knowledge he possesed and could only stand back, humbly watch and listen to a master at his craft.

The internet and this Forum made meeting and sharing time with him possible, in a way that would not have been possible 10 years ago.

We who are now deprived of his presence hope his new students learn as much and maybe all our personal angels will fly just that much better as a result. :ok:

teeteringhead
21st Jul 2005, 15:43
You know, there's a bloody good flying club bar up there somewhere ... this one has been on the Mil forum more than once, but it's appropriate here too I think....Cheers Lu :ok:

Flying West

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where pilots can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management -type would e'er be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.
There MUST be a place where old pilots go, when
Their wings become weary, when their airspeed gets low;
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd "flown west" before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if the thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"
And then thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and afar,
From the government clerk, and the management czar,
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"This is Heaven, my son: You've passed your last test!"

pigboat
22nd Jul 2005, 02:15
Thank you Alex, very well said.

I didn't know your Dad for a long time, just a couple of years, but I was pleased to call him my good friend. I regret not being able to get his helicopter to Montreal before he went into hospital for the last time. His last words to me when I talked to him last Monday were "Thanks for calling."

I'm going to miss him.

RatherBeFlying
24th Jul 2005, 01:34
Thank you, Alex, for letting us know.

I only knew him through his postings which contributed valuably to many discussions and added to the knowledge of many of us.

I and many others will miss hearing from him.

Synthetic
30th Jul 2005, 23:24
Lu - I'll raise a glass to you. Thanks for all I have learn't from you. Peace.

Blacksheep
3rd Aug 2005, 07:35
Lu wasn't just a mine of fascinating and detailed aeronautical information and knowledge.

A while ago I was down and very nearly out. Lu picked this up from a post I made in the Eng & Tech forum and sent me a long and encouraging PM that like a nice new leading edge slat, gave me the additional lift I needed to stick with it. I really appreciated his generosity to a virtual stranger, someone that he knew only from an internet bulletin board. He was a very gracious man and I'm truly sorry he's moved on.

There is a little bit of Lu left behind on the planet however - he's still to be seen on Discovery Channel, putting a bit of his sound common sense into their oft repeated Air Crash Investigation program. Keep an eye out for him there. So long Lu and thanks for all the 'fish'.

seacue
13th Aug 2005, 04:59
My sympathies, Alex.

I always made it a point to read Lu's posts. They were interesting, he had pronounced views which he didn't hesitate to state in an effort to make flying better. His PBY stories gave me insight to an interesting "bird".