PDA

View Full Version : Ex-SAA Pumas for the RAF

Chairborne 09.00hrs
18th Jul 2005, 18:17
This project seems to have gone very quiet - it was only whilst reading the "Puma Replacement" thread that I remembered it.

Anyone know what the current status is?

Gunship
18th Jul 2005, 19:40
Should read SAAF (SAA is "our" national carrier) ;)

Take this as a rumour but I heard the RAF bought "our " L" - models and downgraded them ? Yes downgraded ...

As I say a rumour but that 's what a snr RAF pilot told me about a year ago.

I flew the L model over many years and must count as the best ever ... :ok:

BossEyed
18th Jul 2005, 21:40
From here: (http://www.thomasgirke.homepage.t-online.de/iar330_programhistory.htm) 06 July [2004] - Eurocopter Romania has completed refurbish and overhaul of the first of six former South African Air Force SA 330L Pumas acquired by the Royal Air Force. The helicopter ZJ954 was handed-over at the company's Brasov plant. All six helicopters were purchased in early 2002 as attrition replacements and will be serialled ZJ954-ZJ959. The last two are reported as stored at Llangennech (http://www.ukserials.com/zj.pdf).

Gunship
20th Jul 2005, 09:18
Tx for the link BossEyed ... they do not say if it was back to " L Status " though or where they ?

BossEyed
20th Jul 2005, 14:20
My understanding is that they will be at HC Mk.1 standard, for commonality with the rest of the fleet.

20th Jul 2005, 18:04
Does that mean the anticipators will have been removed:)

CrabInCab
20th Jul 2005, 19:34
Don't be silly Crab, your Commanding Officer would have to be stark raving mad to remove the anticipators.........Baaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

:sad:

Gunship
20th Jul 2005, 19:59
HC Mk 1 standard ? I pressume that is the smaller (older rotors) not composite ?

Our C models also had downrated engine and small fairings ?

Our H and L models was distinguished by not only the larger composite blades but by big sand filters also known as tit filters ;)

It would be ashame if they downgraded them but then again for the UK (if only used there) they would not need the extra power.

Iraq - well the L model was made for our "bush war" in SWA and Angola ... sandy, dry, very wet some places but always HOT, HIGH and HEAVY ... the terrible three H's :E

obnoxio f*ckwit
20th Jul 2005, 20:28
The ex-SAAF Pumas have been converted to HC MK1 standard, at the insistence of the loggies I believe, who didn't want to support another fleet. They were orignally fitted with Turmo 4C4 engines, which didn't have anticipators like the 3C4s fitted to the rest of the Mk 1s, and they will have the usual composite blades and engine filters on the front.

Gunship
20th Jul 2005, 20:34
Sorry that is one word that we never used or in our SAAF vocabularly (sorry I am not English) but what is a anticipator ?

A particle seperator perhaps ?

Our C models (Mk1's) had what was known as box filters ? Earliest one's had NOTHING (but that was rectified very quickly after a few engine changes) ;) (early 1970's late 60's I think)

PlasticCabDriver
21st Jul 2005, 07:28
Its that little gizmo on the engines that stops the Nr slowing down when you grab a whole handful of lever, that has been fitted to every helicopter built since at least the Wessex.

The Claw
21st Jul 2005, 15:10
All four are now at Yeovil and with a bit of luck, the RAF should have the first one at the end of the year. Don't hold your breath though:E

Gunship
21st Jul 2005, 20:20
Its that little gizmo on the engines that stops the Nr slowing down when you grab a whole handful of lever, that has been fitted to every helicopter built since at least the Wessex.

Tx mate.

Yeah I am not from the UK. We neve had the little gizmo so if you grab a handfull below an NR of 60% (I think) you just get the wind - down feeling ... same thing on the Mi-24 and Sea King I flew.

Great invention :ok:

Tx for the answer :ok:

PlasticCabDriver
21st Jul 2005, 22:13
Gunship, having re-read my last post I may have been a bit misleading. Perhaps I should have said "...that has been fitted to every helicopter built since at least the Wessex, except the Puma.

Ours don't have the anticipators either, we use Ng of 75% as the 'magic' figure.

ShyTorque
21st Jul 2005, 22:50
"We never had the little gizmo so if you grab a handfull below an NR of 60%"

Did you really mean Nr? If you get down to 60% Nr on any helicopter, you have surely already gone past the point of getting the wind-down feeling!

Even coal powered steam ships had a better system than the Puma HC Mk1 - i.e. a bell to ring the boiler man to get stoking the fire!

Shame we didn't get Makila engines all those years ago.

Gunship
24th Jul 2005, 16:19
Ours don't have the anticipators either, we use Ng of 75% as the 'magic' figure.

It rings a bell (it was 20 years ago ;) )

Chairborne 09.00hrs
27th Jul 2005, 17:59
Thank you, one and all.

Especially to The Claw - you saved me asking another question!

And apologies, Gunship - I shall remember to refer to the SAAF in the correct form in future.

Gunship
31st Jul 2005, 19:59
And apologies, Gunship - I shall remember to refer to the SAAF in the correct form in future.

Hey no worries mate :ok:

I am sure SAA got enough news this week :E:E:E

Take care out there

Gunss