PDA

View Full Version : I've Had it !!!!! Help

EMERALDSKIES
18th Jul 2005, 17:22
Dear ALL,

Here goes. I've just had one of those weekend's. I'm a 29y/o male, beautiful wife(no kids yet) ,decent job (non-aviation) v nice house and a second apartment etc etc etc... however what I don't have is what I've always wanted since leaving school, a job in the aviation industry. I'm looking for advice (no smart arse comment's I can't deal with it now) on which route to take. At 29 what position's are open to me... I know this is exceptionally general however I'm not sure where to start... I love flying... Do I spend €75k+ pursuing the 0- hero route ? Do I take a long distance Aviation degree and end up in an executive position ? Do I go down the engineer route (if so where do I start?)

I know this thread may come across as being desperately general and generally desperatel but this is how it is...

Your advice and guidance fellow pruner's

ES :confused:

Irishtjs
18th Jul 2005, 17:34
Dear EmeraldSkies,

I understand where you are coming from mate. Check your P.M.'s for my slant on the 'Hero to Zero' route.

Best of luck

I;)

Blinkz
18th Jul 2005, 17:54
I would start with deciding what you want to do. If you WANT to be a pilot, then do that. If you WANT to be in the industry in another capacity do that.

youngskywalker
18th Jul 2005, 18:56
Lot's of rewarding jobs in aviation and some may eventually help you on your way to become a Pilot if that's what you wish.

The best fun I ever had in my life was going to work at my local Airport, Baggage handling (brilliant for a laugh!), cargo handling, airline check in staff or even security perhaps. The one job I loved the most was 'Dispatcher' for a handling company, the pay was not great and most jobs tend to be on part time contracts, however dispatching can be very rewarding and great experience if you move onto flying.

I found it hard to get employment in the Airport as an 'outsider', but if you are prepared to start with the not so good jobs then you will be able to move your way up and to greater things.

Good luck, I loved every minute!

YS

Blueskyrich
18th Jul 2005, 21:24
Seen a fair bit for a 24yr old and here's my take...

Don't look back when you're 50 and say 'what if'. The three biggest regrets for a wannabe are the runway behind you on line up, the fuel left in the bowser and the hopes you harboured but never chased.

You might not make it but at least you said you had a go.

Good luck matey :)

54.98N
18th Jul 2005, 22:05
It really depends on what you want to do. If you really want to be a pilot, will you be happy with an ops or even a management job in aviation? If you're after a pilots job and have the money (and it sounds like you have) I would strongly suggest giving it all and getting on with it. Remember though, no job is guaranteed at the end of the day.

3 1/2 years ago age 31 I was where you are now - as of today I now have a Frozen ATPL albeit without a (flight) job (just started looking).

A word of advice though - don't give up your day job unless you really do have a huge chunk of cash sitting in the bank. Financial stress on top of flight training stress is an unhappy mixture.

Part time was a good solution for me as I kept the money coming in from my sales job which paid for the flight training as required. I now have the qualifications, but without the debt. Definately a bonus. You can kiss your social life goodbye if you choose this route though.

Good luck whatever you decide.

metar
19th Jul 2005, 11:02
I am 28 and was in a similar position to you... I have been flying / studying whenever possible for the last fifteen months or so while continuing my current job. Loved every minute and can't wait to make the final leap into aviation in the next few months. If as the training goes on you feel that giving up your full time job isn't the answer then you can always become a part-time instructor...

Go for it!

Farrell
19th Jul 2005, 12:10
Yeah if it's what you want then go for it.

I'm 32 and have started training. It's a terrifying propsect at the start when you leave the security of a well paid job, but I have met people who wanted to be pilots and never gave it a shot - some because of their circumstances and some from just putting it off.

They look up every time their hear a plane and sometimes, you can even pick them out in the cabin on a flight. They're the ones with their face pressed into the glass, pointing out flaps, tugs, and other bits and bobs to whoever is with them. For me, it is sad to watch.

I have lost a lot from starting on this road, but I have gained wonderful new friends in the process (12th Street and JG!)

There is a camaraderie during training that is very special - I have not made it to heavy metal yet, but I hope that it's there too!

Good luck with your choice :ok:

Mark Noble
19th Jul 2005, 18:12
Emerald...same boat as you, just a bit younger at 23 ;)

First lesson/intro flight is tomorrow at 12 midday...looking forward to it.

If you can, use equity from your house and go integrated or if not, pay for it as you can and go modular (which is what I plan on doing)...

There's just something you have inside that drives you to want to do it and aim for it, whatever the obstacles may be...that's how I feel about it anyway.

A few links for you seeing as you're in Ireland.

www.flyinginireland.com

www.flightwise.ie

www.panaviation.ie

Get cracking with it.
:ok:

too_sleepy
20th Jul 2005, 15:43
Hi
Like so many I'm was in a similar position 2 years ago. I wanted to be a pilot. So far I've managed a PPL. If I never become a professional pilot I would be very dissapointed, but I'm damm happy that I'm at least trying.

I'm based in Dublin, PM me if you want local info or tips.

Good luck.

Boeing737
20th Jul 2005, 22:32
Hi mate!
You seem uncertain as to what path to pursue in the aviation sector. You mentioned that you love flying, so why not go and book youself a few lessons?It will take you a couple of flights to adapt to this alien environment, and you can susequently decide if you want to give it a decent crack of the whip. If you decide you wanna go for it, you could then consider applying for a class I medical. If not, as mentioned above, there are many other professions you could pursue. I know that ryanair were advertising for operations controllers recently!

Im 21 and have just completed a tough 4 year degree program in DCU. I have now just started on the ramp at EIDW and its game for a laugh! Its shift work also, so i can sneek in my flying lessons during the week!!! :ok: (im going the modular route)
Food for thought! PM me aldo if you feel the need, im always around!
Best of luck mate!!!
regards

Best of luck tomorrow mark btw, let us know how you get on mate!! Where are you doing it? Weston i presume? i was only out there today, nice and bumpy, great fun! :}

Mark Noble
21st Jul 2005, 06:22
How are ya Boeing...

Yeh out at Weston but not the main school there. My intro was actually called off yesterday due to winds so I'm going to call today to get another one sorted.

Boeing737
21st Jul 2005, 10:39
yeah man, go for it! :ok: strange, there was quite a crosswind yester but there was still a lot of activity. I got to go up, but twas quite bumpy from 1500' downwards. Post back when you get going!
best of luck,
regards