PDA

View Full Version : 747 Go-Around 0640 18/07 - job well done

holyflyer
18th Jul 2005, 10:02
I know I will be beaten senseless - but just wanted to say "job well done" to the BA 747 crew for the very nice go around off LHR's 27R at 0640 local this morning. Just about everyone on the platform at West Drayton Station was heads up watching it as you came overhead.

I know its a non-event and I have executed a few in my short time. But remember from Joe Publics point of view the area immediately north of LHR rarely sees anything flying over. So when you get a 747 turning onto approx heading of 360 and climbing hard its a heads up for everyone and several on the platform commented. Thankfully I was able to educate a few before they called the tabloids.

Just wondered though why do so many 27R MAP's seem to deviate from the plan? Obviously under ATC instruction, but its just such a large deviation from the published chart and I've seen a few do a full 180 inside 2nm from 27R. Crew would have briefed for standard MAP then when it happens the workload is high, PAX gripping the armrests and then ATC are calling for course and possibly height changes outside of brief.

Now putting hard hat on for battering that will inevitably come.

Cartman's Twin
18th Jul 2005, 10:12
I'm sure it was an impressive sight! I wasn't working myself but it may have been that a northbound aircraft was just departing from 27L. Safest way to restore standard separation would be to turn the Go-around north.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Jul 2005, 10:39
<< I've seen a few do a full 180 inside 2nm from 27R>>

Well I never ever saw, or heard, of one of those.... but I only worked there 31 years!!

AlanM
18th Jul 2005, 10:41
The standard published MAP is more of an aid to deconfliction - not only form the other Heathrow runway's departure, but from the Helilanes and Northolt traffic.

At that time, Northolt would probably be closed, there will be little or no SVFR traffic so a further right turn and probably higher level keeps it moving to rejoin the sequence.

HD.... over to you! :)

HD - your inbox on here is full

holyflyer
18th Jul 2005, 11:11
<< I've seen a few do a full 180 inside 2nm from 27R>>

There was a certain A330 from the Gulf region that did it a few months ago and raised a lengthy post here on pprune. Saw it myself - very very very impressive MAP - and was not surprised so many commented on it. I'd say a white knuckle arm rest grip for the PAX. Heading east along the Great Western lines overhead West Drayton open prison!

Have since seen a couple of other 180's - not quite as tight - though certainly heading east by overhead Hillingdon Hospital.

cwatters
18th Jul 2005, 13:02
I'd say a white knuckle arm rest grip for the PAX.

Sounds like fun to me. My worst white knuckle job (as a pax) was an aborted take off from Turin in an Air Atalia something. Take off power was applied and we start to accelerate normally. After some seconds I became aware that something didn't feel quite right. I can't really explain it very well - it seemed like we had reached normal take off speed but we weren’t really accelerating quite as much as I felt we should be. No abnormal noises or vibration. I'm thinking to myself humm somethings up, looks like he's going to have to abort. No panic - in fact I'm quite excited at the prospect... except we continue down the runway at speed like he's really going to go for it. By this time I'm really convinced something is up and I'm thinking.. can't he feel there is something wrong? I hope he aborts soon ... he better abort soon.... Now would be good.... please!!! Finally after what seems like ages they slam all the anchors on and we taxi back to the stand where the brakes promptly seize up.

geraintw
18th Jul 2005, 14:38
When people say about go arounds being a non-event, I did think they were being cynical. But, having sat down back for one last week, I can agree. We were flying onto the small pavement that is mykonos last Friday with XL and it was so smooth going back up that I don't think many people noticed straight away.... the pilot blamed the crosswind, but i think he wanted another look at the nude beach :E

18th Jul 2005, 22:43
Well I never ever saw, or heard, of one of those.... but I only worked there 31 years!!

Must have been your day off HD!

5milesbaby
18th Jul 2005, 23:12
Everydays a day off in HD's land now ;)