PDA

View Full Version : Flying in USA with a JAR PPL

Paul D.
17th Jul 2005, 09:41
Wonder if anyone can help me out with this questions please.

I've just got my JAR PPL (A) here in the UK and I'm doing my 172 conversion this month. I'm going on holiday to Arizona with my wife next February to do some Emergency Manoeuvre Training in an Extra 300L. Whilst there, I would really like to be able to hire a 172 and take my wife for a trip over the Grand Canyon (It's our wedding anniversary, so it would hopefully earn me quite a few brownie points).

I've been told that I would need to get an FAA PPL, take an FAA medical over there (I have a Class 2 here) and do 1 hr groundschool and a 1 hr checkflight with an instructor before I could hire a 172 myself. I don't mind doing all that, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Does anyone know if that is the correct route and could you point me in the right direction to get me started please?

Thanks.

Paul.

porridge
17th Jul 2005, 14:16
Hi Pau D
You don't need a FAA PPL, but you do need to get a validation issued on your UK PPL. It is a paperwork exercise, but it takes time.
PM me if you need the details.
P

Whopity
17th Jul 2005, 20:18
"I would really like to be able to hire a 172 and take my wife for a trip over the Grand Canyon (It's our wedding anniversary, so it would hopefully earn me quite a few brownie points)"

It certainly would if the engine fails!

Paul D.
17th Jul 2005, 21:51
Ah, did I mention I'd be taking a parachute? Cheaper than a divorce :ok:

WrongWayCorrigan
18th Jul 2005, 10:18
Good people to contact are Anglo American Aviation in San Diego; I usually rent a 172 from them and fly to Arizona.

They have good rates and know all about JAR licences, will get you a quick medical done and the paperwork. I think they just dish out the FAA licence upon presentation of the foreign one.

Paul D.
18th Jul 2005, 10:46
WrongWayCorrigan, thanks for that. Porridge has also been very helpful and has got me on the right track.

I'm doing the Emergency Manoeuvre Traing at FCI Training. They operate out of Williams Gateway Airport in Mesa, Arizona and I'm staying in a hotel that's only 5 miles away. I thought the best idea would be to try to find an organisation that is based at the same airport to hire a 172 from. Of course, I could always travel to a different airport if need be.

Paul.

DaveW
19th Jul 2005, 11:28
Paul, Porridge and others may already have given you the required detailed info, but in case they haven't, I've a step-by-step guide here on my website, with links to the relevant CAA and FAA forms (http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/aviation.htm)

Enjoy flying in AZ - Lake Havasu City, Payson and Page are all great destinations, and there are many more (including GC, of course :ok: ).

WrongWayCorrigan
20th Jul 2005, 15:18
I Know I've said this before on these pages, but: Laughlin / Bullhead is a good tip.

Great hotels for USD 22 / night (Ramada best) during the week (more expensive at weekend), free tie down if you buy fuel, otherwise USD 5 per night. Nice airfield. Free shuttle to hotels.

Perfectly situated for day trips to GC, Phonenix, Tuscon, Prescott, Sedona etc etc.

Cold beer in the Losers Lounge. Don't be rude to the bouncers. I was once and regretted it. Not much sense of humour, American bouncers, if fact any bouncers, come to think of it.

Paul D.
21st Jul 2005, 15:15
Thanks DaveW. Porridge is being very helpful. It was interesting to see the step by step guide on your site and I'm presently looking at the other items as well.

Thanks also for the recommendations WrongWayCorrigan. It's great to get some tips from people who have actually been over there, rather than just going blind. I'm sure the wife and I will both have a fantastic time in February.

Paul.