PDA

View Full Version : USB, Office and BIOS prob

jimgriff
16th Jul 2005, 21:20
Have been led to believe that I may have an out of date Bios.
Blue scrreen of death...SERIOUS ERROR>>> send report...Result brobably BIOS prob. USB stick wont work etc...
Did a check and the results are as below.

Anyone got any advice?

Your BIOS Agent Results:
BIOS ID: 62-0905-001131-00101111-040201-VIA_P6-M922
OEM Sign-On: Release 09/05/2002
BIOS Date: 09/05/02
BIOS Type: AMI
Chipset: VIA 82C3128 rev 1
Super I/O: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
BIOS ROM Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 1024 MB
Memory Max: 4096 MB
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor 2533 Mhz MAX: 3000 Mhz

rickity
16th Jul 2005, 22:12
Jimgriff

this may still be pointing to a memory problem as i suggested in your previous post re office. have you tried the mem test and what were the results..

To go further, a little more info on when the blue screen of death was happening, during the BIOS checks, boot, or when windows has established, may be useful.

otherwise you may need to eliminate other hardware possibilities and run bare bones system, i.e. only mother board, memory, Hard disk and vga.

It would be very unusual for the BIOS to be suddenly out of date, to be the cause, much more likely to be a new addition of either hardware or software that then might complain that it cant be handled by the bios.

Rick

jimgriff
16th Jul 2005, 22:25
memory test was fine.
BSD came on whilst I was surfing the web with my mem stick in the new breakout box that Ihave recently instslled.
XP sent a report and it came back from the MS web site of answerrs that it was down to a BIOS prob,

breakout box is USB 2.0 capable as where the old one was USB 1.0

Saab Dastard
16th Jul 2005, 22:34
rickity, good advice - except that you can't get a BSOD during BIOS checks, as Windows hasn't yet loaded!

Assuming it isn't a hardware fault -

Is it possible to boot in safe mode and roll back via system restore to a date when the system was operational (before the hardware or software was added that is causing the problem)?

Depends on whether or not Safe Mode is available (i.e. doesn't BSOD in safe mode) and if suitable SR points are available.

Also possible to Repair Windows XP via install CD.

Or reinstall Win XP over existing - inelegant but effective (backup of data and profiles essential).

Usually is some useful info on the BSOD - try taking a photo with a digital camera or note down any filenames that are mentioned - may be possible to replace them if corrupt. You can use the recovery console if you are brave - not for the faint-hearted!

SD

rickity
16th Jul 2005, 22:55
Point taken SD, just allowing for some possibilities.

Seems like a USB problem, BIOS happy enough with USB1 but haveing problems with USB2. I note in a previous post there was this link http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=16&threadid=65851&enterthread=y a bit complicated but seems to suggest that xp doesnt recognise the USB2 as USB2 when using a PCI usb2 card, the work around is to disable or remove anything usb 1 and then re install usb2 , ... I think ... I haven't examined it too closely but it seems related.

Rick

FJJP
17th Jul 2005, 07:44
Recently my old PC started to give BSOD during boot. Tame local repair shop cleared the problem by disconnecting the 2nd [old] hard drive. That turned out to have developed a fault - they're trying to recover the data now.

jimgriff
21st Jul 2005, 12:24
I flashed the BIOS with a newer version and lo and behold ....USB still does not work!!:bored:

TR4A
21st Jul 2005, 15:43
Have you checked Device Manager? Click Control Panel, System, then click Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button. Scroll to the bottom of the list. "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

Any problems there? Yellow Exclamation Points?

Saab Dastard
21st Jul 2005, 21:04
Jimgriff,

Is the "Breakout Box" that you have installed an internal device - i.e. PCI card?

Or is it an external device plugging into an existing USB port - i.e. USB hub?

SD

jimgriff
22nd Jul 2005, 19:28
No other yellow exclamation marks in CP.

The breakout box (in the front of the pc) is linked (internally) by a cable to a PCI USB 2.0 card . I've hooked the box up to the "internal" USB on the card and the devices are recognised. When I try to reload the deivers it starts theprocess and stops 1/2 way and says that it will not work.!!