PDA

View Full Version : Where am I?

Regie Mental
14th Jul 2005, 11:06
OK, which aircraft inbound Fairford for the show this weekend lined up on Brize in error this morning? Was it really the B-1?

Speedpig
14th Jul 2005, 14:02
It was actually lining up for a bombing run on "Cartoon Town" as I believe Carterton is affectionately known locally.

Wycombe
14th Jul 2005, 21:17
.....Cartoontown it is. Once described by the Daily Mail as "the ugliest town in England". Aldershot (detect a common thread ;) )must be a close second.

gijoe
15th Jul 2005, 11:13
Spitfire - about 0840 - and very good it was too!

normally right blank
15th Jul 2005, 20:04
Two Danish F-16's landed at Brize N. a few years ago - believing it was Fairford. :p

Checking the weather today. Why can't I get EGAV metar/taf, but as the forecaster suggested, request EGDL and Brize?

Climebear
16th Jul 2005, 18:51
Back in the late 80s the ILS freq for BZN and Fairford were extremely close, this when combined with runways of similar ength and orientation frequently caused confusion. I remember , during my time as an AATC in Brize Radar, trying to see a Kidlington based trg ac on short finals following an ILS approach at Brize to no avail. Only then did we look around 90 degrees and see it descending into Fairford. By then Fairford ATC thought they were under some sort of attack!