PDA

View Full Version : Intel P4

boofhead
14th Jul 2005, 00:02
My Processor Zone temperature is running up to 69 C. The other values (zone 1 and zone 2) are 48 and 56. The fan speeds are higher than normal, I assume to try to bring the temp down.
Can anyone tell me if that temp is dangerous? (bad for the processor especially) and what I can do about it? Another fan in the case? Replace the processor fan?

criticalmass
14th Jul 2005, 06:58
Zalman do some very nice and effective aftermarket CPU, Video-card and Chipset cooling fans, as well as a water-cooling unit called the Reserator, which is compatible with your chip.

Plug Zalman into a search engine and see what you find. One website that might help is www.altech.com.au

Stripholderloader
15th Jul 2005, 15:29
What proccessor do you have ?
If it is the Prescott then this would be normal given the present outside tempratures, unless you have some decent cooling and the PC is able to get a good circulation of air.
Zalman fans are excellent but you have to be very carefull that the one you choose will physically fit into your unit before you buy it.
Regards
SHL

boofhead
17th Jul 2005, 06:16
It is an Intel Pentium 4, and came with the fan. I used thermo grease to install it. The temps go upn when the computer is working hard, but it should not be so high I think. Is there an upper limit that I should be aware of? I cannot find any reference to it in the documents or on line.

ORAC
17th Jul 2005, 07:32
See here (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/p4-temp.html), and here, (http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml+pentium+maximum+allowed+CP U+core+temperature&hl=en&ie=UTF-8).

The theory being that P4 CPU will never burn out, even without a heatsink, but will just run run at an increasingly slower speed. However developers papers show that the max temperature before they start slowing down is around 80°C. And see here (http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/july/010723_P4_Throttling/010723_P4_Throttling.htm): Regardless of enabling of the automatic or On-Demand modes, in the event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when the silicon has reached a temperature of approximately 135 °C.

Stripholderloader
18th Jul 2005, 08:51
If your P4 has the "Prescott" core then you can expect it to run hotter than expected. The temps that you quote are about right.
You need to get a little more concerned if it gets to around 72/73 degrees. I have an alarm set on mine at 74; it has never reached that and rarely gets to 70.
Higher fan speeds (with the original fan) can also increase the overall case temperature and in turn reduce the effective cooling of the processor, not to mention the irritating noise. I have experienced this problem and invested in a Zalman fan.........excellent, lower P4 temps and hardly any noise.
Regards
SHL

Earl
20th Jul 2005, 20:33
I have the new pentium 4 procesor
The one with very few pins to bend and install incorrectly.
When I built this system I forgot to install the paste between the processor and the heat sink.
It was running at over 90C.
I installed the paste and it dropped the temp to a comfortable 60C even under heavy load it runs at about 70C.
Its factory default shows up at 72C with a CPU fan speed of 600rpm.
Increasing the fan speed to 1600 rpm does lower the CPU temp but results in an intermittent overclocking failure on boot up.
My home is always maintained to a constant temp of 24C.
So outside enviromental air temp has no bearing to this issue.
Running 4 fans inside the case and it maintains a constant temp of 37C. No matter what the CPU fan speed is set at.