PDA

View Full Version : ATP Writtens

Macgyver
12th Jul 2005, 13:20
Hello everyone,

As I mentionned in a previous post, I am *trying* to obtain my EU Passport through my mother. This may or may not go through, but if it does, I want to be prepared.

At the moment, I have over 600 hours of flight time and am doing aerial photography. I live and work in Canada. Based on our system, I can write the ATP exam (we only have 2 exams to take) when I have 750 hours total; however, it takes 1500 hours to receive the actual rating (along with some other requirements, like PIC time, instrument time, etc).

Just a couple of questions here:

1. If I want to look into working in Europe, will I need to have my ATP done beforehand? Do any companies hire low time pilots without an ATP (i.e. less than 1500 hours?).

2. Do most European airlines merely seek someone with the ATP written exams complete- or, do they want someone who actually holds the rating?

3. Is it better to first obtain my Canadian ATP and then try to convert to JAA- or, should I simply try to convert ASAP? If I were to get my passport, my concern is the financial cost of conversion. From what I have heard, it is very expensive to conver to JAA.

Thanks in advance for any help. I do not know much about how things work in Europe, so I hope some of you guys can educate me!

Chris.

Spektor
12th Jul 2005, 22:51
Macgyver,

Hello again! Let me have a go at your questions.

1. If you want to get a flying job in Europe, you will need at the very least:

a) All of the theoretical ATPL examination passed - 14 of them. The subjects at the moment are:

- General Navigation
- Radio Navigation
- Air Law
- Operational Procedures
- Airframes, Systems, Powerplant
- Instrumentation
- Flight Planning and Monitoring
- Principles of Flight
- Performance
- Mass and Balance
- Meteorology
- Human Performance and Limitations
- IFR Communications
- VFR Communications

I would like to emphasize, that to be considered for a serious flying job (turboprop or better) you will need to complete them at ATPL level (that automatically takes care of the requirements for PPL and CPL). In addition to the theoretical part you will need to get a Class 1 JAA Medical and get a CPL/IR - you may need to complete an approved training course in order to obtain the CPL/IR, depending on your experience; check out www.caa.co.uk for detailed requirements. Also, if you want an actual Type Rating added to your license, you will need to complete an approved MCC (Multiple Crew Coordination) course, which is an expensive pain in the neck, and many airlines do require you to have it done prior to job application. Of course, when all that is done, and you do have your right to live and work in the EU, the above will guarantee, that your application is accepted and considered, it does not guarantee the job - European carriers have their own competetive minimums, just like everywhere else.

2. The above kind of answers your second question. Of course, ideally airlines would only hire candidates who are in their 20s, have thousands upon thousands of hours, hold all of their Type Ratings and have University degrees. In reality, you can get say, a turboprop job, with a lot less in terms of experience and qualifications. Some low cost carriers these days, will simply have you sponsor your own Type Rating, after you passed the selection. 1500 hours seems to be a nice magic number, but beware, that in order for you to get a full JAR ATPL, 500 hours of that 1500 must be in aircraft requiring two pilots or more by aircraft certification or operational requirements of the carrier.

3. If you are currently working on your Canadian ATP, by all means, finish it. It will have an added value later either way - you may deside not to go to Europe after all. It will ease your conversion pain some, but not a lot - the requirements don't really get any easier unless you are a pilot of a nice big jet (30.000 kg I believe is the minimum weight, but don't quote me on that) with 3000 hours in it and some as PIC. Cost wise, yes, it may run you a pretty penny, so always shop around a little. Oxford Air Training School (UK), for example, has a great Distance Learning ATPL Theory course, but it will run you about GBP 1000,- per Module (there are two Modules) plus each of the 14 examinations is GBP 50,- a pop. Naples Air Center (Florida, USA) course costs half of the Oxford one; it is a bit less fancy, but does the job just fine - so shop around. If you deside to do the course full time, the costs will rise exponentially. Then there is the CPL skill Test (and an approved Training Course, if you need one), MCC Course, Medical, cost of travel to places where you will do the individual elements (some of them, like the Medical, for example, can only be done in Europe) - a lot to think about.

As a final thought, are you sure you want to work in Europe? Don't get me wrong, Europe is a great place to live and work, but they will tax you through the nose - in the Netherlands, for example, the lowest(!) income tax bracket is 37,5%! And, thrust me, it doesnt end there. There are other places in the world where you will simply make more money as a pilot - US, Asia, Middle East. I don't know what pilots make in Canada, or what your fiscal situation is, all I am saying, is that if you are flexible in your choices, Europe, financially at least, may not be the best one.

Good luck to you, hope this helps a little.

Spektor:cool: