PDA

View Full Version : Outlook: easy transfer of .PST files?

Keith Discovering
11th Jul 2005, 18:19
Hi,

I want to run Outlook on my PC & laptop, so when they talk to each other, they synch without hassle. The only way I can do it at the moment is copy the .pst file (after i completely shut down Outlook) and transfer the bloody thing. Anyone got an easy, hassle-free option please?

Regards

KD

Mac the Knife
11th Jul 2005, 18:40
No :cool:

AFAIK there isn't one (unless you keep your e-mails on a centralised server) - best thing is to set your laptop to "Leave a Copy on Server" and automatically bcc any e-mails that you send from the laptop to yourself.

FJJP
11th Jul 2005, 21:25
At the moment, I am having a struggle setting up my new HP ipaq to work with my wireless and Bluetooth systems. I'll get there in the end somehow.

I plan to synchro with my main PC (wireless or cradle) and then synchro with my laptop (Bluetooth). That way, all 3 outlooks will be showing the same hymnsheet.

I think Mac is right - the only way is to export/import...

connection fee
12th Jul 2005, 14:16
I have a similar question, I also have MS outlook running on XP, I am trying to copy my inbox and burn it onto a cd with the attached files that come with the emails. Any tips?

CF

Any any tips to burn favorites as well would be great.

Ausatco
13th Jul 2005, 12:19
KD,

I asked exactly this question about 18 months ago and got the same answers Mac and FJJP have given. If you don't use Outlook as a mail client I think there might be other options, but if you're locked into it like I am (work reasons) then I think there's no elegant solutionunless you set up a server of your own.

I use Mailwasher to filter the crap and have all Outlook on both my computers set to leave messages on the ISP's server. When I've got them both synced I tell Mailwasher to delete all messages.

It's a bit clumsy but it works ok in a home environment.

AA

Capt Claret
13th Jul 2005, 14:33
KD

I used to do what you want but with a work PC running Eudora and my personal laptop running Outlook XP.

Both email programs were set to leave mail on the server for x days (10 in my case) as I knew that it was highly unlikely I would be absent from both machines for longer than that.

Emails were downloaded normally when logging onto the network and would be automatically deleted 10 days later.

In Outlook click on

Tools
Email Accounts
View or change existing accounts
Next
Select the account you want to change
Change
More Settings
Advanced tab
Leave a copy of messages on the server
the appropriate Delete option
OK ad nauseum

Hope this helps

Keith Discovering
14th Jul 2005, 15:36
Thanks everyone for replying.

I want to use the whole .pst file so I can use all my contacts, calendar, email etc. I can do it manually and I know you can buy programmes that will do it all (outlook backup)

http://www.backsettings.com/backup-outlook.html

and a few others, but I'm a typical pilot and hate spending money on this stuff when Microsoft should really have this as an optiion.

Anyhow, thanks guys

stickyb
17th Jul 2005, 22:49
One way that works is to buy yourself an external usb drive. They are cheap now, and you can get a housing for a laptop drive that doesn't need mains power.
a 30gb drive should be more than adequate!

The copy the existing pst file onto the usb connected drive, and do a clean set up of outlook. That way you have a blank pst file on you r main hard drive on both computers.

Then, on one computer, plug in the usb drive and tell outllok to open an extra pst file. Modify the order of searching contacts, etc to use the usb pst file first ( or you could even delete the small pst file)

Close outlook, go to the other machine and repeat the sequence.

You should now have a "portable" outlook pst file.

Mac the Knife
18th Jul 2005, 19:26
Or consider

Portable Thunderbird 1.0.5 (USB Drive-Friendly)

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_thunderbird/

"Portable Thunderbird is a fully functional package of Thunderbird optimized for use on a USB key drive. It has some specially-selected optimizations to make it perform faster and extend the life of your USB key as well as a specialized launcher that will allow most of your favorite extensions to work as you switch computers. It will also work from a CDRW drive (in packet mode), ZIP drives, external hard drives, some MP3 players, flash RAM cards and more."

coinowl
18th Jul 2005, 22:59
KD
I use a free program called syncback to sync or backup info between my laptop and desktop. I use XPpro and Outlook 2003.

With syncback you can sync or backup email and all parts of Outlook.

I cant remember the site as I am in London at the moment and my laptop/desktop is in Oz but put Syncback in Google to find the site.

Keith Discovering
19th Jul 2005, 15:03
Thank you all once again for your kind help. Coinowl, I think you've hit the nail on the head though.

Cheers everyone

Keith :)