PDA

View Full Version : Advice on TRTO for ATPL LST

Dr. Rudi
10th Jul 2005, 23:06
Hi there,

I am looking for some ideas on what and where to do a Type Rating on a MPA in the U.K. I will be converting from a ICAO ATPL and will need the LST observed by a CAA FOI.

Any info much appreciated.

willby
11th Jul 2005, 00:42
Hi Dr Rudi
Here is a link to all flight training organisations approved by the CAA both in the UK and abroad.
Part 3 lists the Type Rating Organisations and also the planes they provide the rating for.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.PDF

Regards
Willby

Dr. Rudi
11th Jul 2005, 04:26
Thanks for that Willby.

Am looking to hear from anyone who has done a type rating for JAA ATPL licence issue and can share their experience.

I believe getting the CAA to turn up and observe the LST can be difficult. Is this true? What about if conducting the Type Rating at an overseas TRTO.

BillieBob
11th Jul 2005, 07:35
Getting the ATPL Skill Test observed at an overseas TRTO is probably not a realistic option as you would have to pay all of the the costs incurred by the CAA examiner (who will travel on a fully flexible business class ticket and stay in at least a 4* hotel) as well as a daily rate for all of the time he or she spends on the task (including travelling time). You're talking well in excess of GBP10,000.

It's not so much a matter of getting the examiner to turn up to a UK TRTO as getting him on the day you want him. There are not that many Flight Ops Training Inspectors for each type and so you need to book early to avoid disappointment. I freelance for a few UK TRTOs and they don't seem to have too much of a problem arranging observations for their clients.