PDA

View Full Version : No beep on boot-up.

None of the above
9th Jul 2005, 16:36
I've recently done a major up-grade and re-install (but managing to preserve files) and a further re-install having allowed a Trojan Horse into the system.
I've just become aware that the beep on boot-up doesn't sound but I can't remember if it was present between re-installs. The speaker appears to be connected correctly as I can hear the modem dialling out if I resort to the dial-up
ISP. Apart from this, the boot-up is completely normal (AFAIK) and XP works OK. I know that the beep, or lack of it, represents the completion of a diagnostic process, so I am slightly concerned that all is not well despite appearances to the contrary.

Any thoughts, Gentlemen?

N o t a

Mad (Flt) Scientist
9th Jul 2005, 16:41
Did you install a new motherboard as part of the upgrade. Some new boards don't actually beep any more - my ASUS has a 'voice feedback' thingie which says something about diagnostics complete.

But, it won't do anything - even beep - if the speakers aren't switched on (whereas the beep systems beep internally, I think)

None of the above
9th Jul 2005, 17:09
==============================
Did you install a new motherboard as part of the upgrade?
==============================

Strange you should say that!
Yes, I installed an MSI KM4M board so perhaps that is indeed the reason.

This may mean having to read the manual!

Thanks for that Mad etc.

N o t a

FJJP
10th Jul 2005, 06:51
...and does the sound default to 'off'?

None of the above
10th Jul 2005, 18:26
No, the sound is up and running, both on the external and internal speakers.

N o t a

sky330
13th Jul 2005, 13:11
Most probably an option in the bios.
Some of the beep indicated presence of the CPU or the memory, and you definitively would not have a normal start-up, without those working correctly ;)

And Indeed some new mother board have a synthetised voice instead of the beep(s).

On mine, you can even replaces it with another file so it can say "Bios checks completed, will now boot from operating system" in your own language :ok: