PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter formation over Surrey

Laker Liker
8th Jul 2005, 20:28
This afternoon between about 1545 and 1630 a collection of military choppers were circling near where I live that is 4DME on the 262 radial from the Midhurst VOR.

They were collectively a Chinook in the lead followed by a Sea Stallion then a Sea King next in line an Apache and last of all a Lynx.

They performed two large orbits of about five miles in diameter and then disappeared over the horizon.

Anybody got a clue - WITHWH?

jayteeto
8th Jul 2005, 20:39
I didnt see it, but I would guess the sea stallion might have been a merlin....

Sloppy Link
8th Jul 2005, 21:17
Watch the telly tomorrow commemorating the role of women during WWII and all will become clear.

right chopper
9th Jul 2005, 08:55
Cue usual retorts about all female crews.....

Time Bandit
9th Jul 2005, 14:28
5 helicopters just flew in formation over my flat, at about 2000ft. Stuck my head out of the window and caught a glimpse of them, followed by 2 fast jets. Quite impressive.

tusker27sqn
10th Jul 2005, 11:56
http://www.news.mod.uk/news_headline_story.asp?newsItem_id=3372
all will become clear...

SASless
10th Jul 2005, 13:10
In Vietnam we had a thing called a "Pink Team"......guess the Brits have warped that concept too....or would it now be "Mauve Team"?

CAC Runaway
10th Jul 2005, 18:56
I think they must have cheated with the Apache as there is only one female AH pilot and she is still in training!!

vecvechookattack
10th Jul 2005, 20:10
Hmmmm....All female crews eh? Apart from the Merlin and the Seaking and the Lynx and the Apache (not sure about the Chinnook) but the rest def had a bloke in the aircraft to supervise.

AlanM
10th Jul 2005, 20:14
Yep - and when "Whirlybird Formation" was checking in on my freq yesterday, there was at least one deep voice........

(I will let you finish the punch line...!:))

adr
10th Jul 2005, 21:05
I will let you finish the punch line...!
".. by all-female crews, some of whom have always been female."?

adr

SASless
11th Jul 2005, 01:36
The distinction gets a bit blurred in the oggin don't it?

Bismark
11th Jul 2005, 18:34
Word has it that the Apache was flown by a male QHI with a female stude in the front seat.

Where were the rest of the mil aircraft that have female aircrew? Surely the RN have Lynx, Merlins and grey Seakings with female aircrew, and the RAF other a/c types with women crew?

Axel-Flo
12th Jul 2005, 08:49
Who cares, let's can the positive discrimination and stop hyping these events to a level at which they should never be...:yuk:

right chopper
12th Jul 2005, 18:19
Maybe so but I'm sure the gesture to assemble as many flying girls as possible to mark the occasion was appreciated by the women, including HM, whom they were commemorating. A flypast flown by all male or 'all' female crews really doesn't make any difference. A flypast is a salute in any shape or form. However if it gave the day of the women watching below an extra special touch after 60 years of waiting, then I'm sure the crews won't have minded all the added 'hype' as you put it.

fidae
12th Jul 2005, 22:17
This should be on the spotters forum, not Mil Aircrew

right chopper
13th Jul 2005, 12:51
If you have no interest in a 'helicopter formation' nor a 'wing waggling' thread posted by people that appreciated them enough to post and say cheers, then don't read them! There may be some people that are interested on this forum....