PDA

View Full Version : Training in Malacca

blahblah
8th Jul 2005, 10:25
Hi everyone,

I am a british student contemplating taking up a position at the MFA in Malacca.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the school is like; in terms of quality of teaching and training, facilities, fellow students, the qualification gained on graduation, job prospects in the area or otherwise and the social life of the students whilst studying there.

Thanks alot everyone, will really appreciate any responses.

Blah Blah

whiskey1
8th Jul 2005, 10:45
Are you mad?

Unless you are Malaysian or from Singapore a Malaysian Licence is useless. You would have to convert it where ever you go, Europe, Australia or the US. The licence is based on the Old UK CAA exams, but remember they are marked "Not valid for the issue of a UK Licence"

As for Standards well, although their Motto is "Higher Standards Always" they're not. Crashed a PA28 earlier this week EFATO. Cause as yet undetermined.

Have a look on the Far East Forum. Complaints there of insufficient aircraft and instructors.

As for Accomodation rooms are about 5 feet by 8 feet with Airconditioning only after hours. Oh and the standard Squat toilets in the communial bathrooms.

The boss there is an interesting character, Have a look how he is described on the Far East Forum.

As a matter of interest, Why are you thinking about training over there?

W1

blahblah
8th Jul 2005, 10:51
W1,

Thanks for your insight. Doesn't sound too promising. The reason I am contemplating it is due to the cost. As the costs are far less than in the UK, it may be financially viable to train out there and then pay to have my licence converted. What do you reckon?

Blah Blah

whiskey1
8th Jul 2005, 14:53
Cost - Benefit analysis is in my opinion Heavily weighted in favour of training in the area you will operate in.

If you want a job and to fly in the UK consider training in the UK.

Look at a modular course. PPL in UK, with perhaps hours building overseas. Distance Learning for theory then CPL / IR.

Suspect that if you went to MFA would ultimately cost you more than doing things as suggested above.

Looked at the Far East Forum?