PDA

View Full Version : failing exams !

ipas
8th Jul 2005, 09:58
hey guys, im a student pilot wanting to become hopefull a commercial pilot located in London. Ive completed my CPL exams and failed 2 :sad: and when attempting my Night VFR rating, i failed it twice, to my shock!!! :oh:

Knocking on wood, i believe im a good and smart pilot, however, during these tests, ive had some rough times with family and stuf etc. etc. . Im also doing a degree in aviation with a college here in London.

Now to my point. I cant stop thinking everyday about how my job prospects have diminished sooo much that by the end of my degree, i may have no chance of getting a job and completing my dream of becoming a airline pilot one day.
Wot do you guys think, you guys are much wiser than i am in this field. P.S. ive never failed anything in aviation before and hopefully never will, but i just hope my past doesnt set a bad image of my future. :(

flying scotsman
8th Jul 2005, 10:17
try and identify why you're going wrong and sort it if you can. if you can't, stop for a while and take stock.

as for your career prospects the airlines are full of hugely talented guys who passed everything first go, they are also full of guys who slogged their way throught he hard way and are now excellent commanders.

be realistic, be honest with yourself, work very very hard and hopefully it'll happen for you.

almost every pilot I know has faced some sort of career adversity and most of us get through somehow. have faith in yourself.

and guess what, when you finally get the airline job you want you'll be faced with a career of exams and tests that you will do well or otherwise in so be ready for that!

keep the chin up.:ok:

ipas
8th Jul 2005, 10:39
thnx for the encouragement. im not used to failing things and im gonna make sure i wont fail anything else, im just worried that will something like failing NVFR affect my future job prospects or failing a CPL subject? Because i was planning to do ATPL next year along with my IFR rating, and i was thinking, if my employer sees medo well in IFR and ATPL subjects, would it look good because it shows that ive improved from CPL and NVFR rather than just staying the same.
Oh boy, i guess the reason why we all fall is to practice getting back up.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
8th Jul 2005, 11:11
the Night rating......how did you fail? There is no skill test to take.
You just do 5 hours (some it solo), and at least five landings, and that should be it. What's to go wrong?

ipas
8th Jul 2005, 12:22
ye i know, but it happened man, couldnt maintain VMC, and i thought he would divert me but he said it was all upto me so a bit of confusion, but my flying and stuff is not a problem. I did my PPL and the testing officer said i fly upto CPL standards. I just had a rough few weeks while doing these tests, i just hope it doesnt ruine my future.
If i do well in ATPL and IFR, that should sorta cover my previous failiures shouldnt it? :(

YYZ
8th Jul 2005, 12:52
Nobody will look at how many times it took you to pass your night rating, they will be interested in your IR and possibly your CPL pass?

Why have you done the CPL exams if you intend to continue down the route of commercial pilot? Would it not of been more practical just to do the ATPLs?

Good luck & keep going, most people fail something along the way.

YYZ

ipas
9th Jul 2005, 06:13
thnx man, your right, however, i have to do CPL theory in order to get my CPL licence. :O

PilotOnline
9th Jul 2005, 08:27
ipas,

You say in your first post that your dream is to be an airline pilot. With this in mind you should be focusing on the 14 ATPL theory subjects rather than the CPL theory exams. From what I understand the CPL subjects closely follow the ATPL subjects, however, if you want to do the IR you need to do another 7 or 8 subjects, this is why most follow the ATPL theory route.

Check out this thread for a much better explanation!

CPL Theory/ATPL Theory (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137277&highlight=cpl+theory+exams)

Frank Furillo
9th Jul 2005, 09:59
Ipas,
Who told you you have to take your CPL exams in order to get a CPL???????
I took all 14 ATPL exams and now am the holder of a CPL licence, this is the normal way of doing this, is is in Lasors. I am currently at the end of my IR,when I have that i will have a 'Frozen ATPL'.
I suggest you get a new instructor as you are being given very bad advise
FF

Oh dear looks like we have been taken guys..... Ipas has already been posting here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181413)

helicopter-redeye
9th Jul 2005, 17:35
The bounder. He's probably drunk as well (and can't spell or type)

pfah!

ipas
10th Jul 2005, 09:27
guys, why would i have u on. Its not like i love or hate u guys, im here for advice not to make friends. But if u wana know, i study in Aus and live with my mum every now and then in London. I am an exchange student in Aus.

ifleeplanes
11th Jul 2005, 16:21
How come on the other thread you state you have passed the ATPL exams and yet on here you say you have failed 2 of the CPL exams?

People are more than willing to help out when they dont have the suspicion that they are being taken for a ride.

nipplesucker
13th Jul 2005, 21:01
i am selling a CRP 5 on ebay,
Check it out and good luck in you job searches.

Jerricho
15th Jul 2005, 18:59
and live with my mum every now and then in London

Does your mum know you go online to call people poofs on internet forums?? :rolleyes:

Your Licence thread is so much more entertaining.

Playtime_fontayne
28th Jul 2005, 13:36
Whats all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here:}