PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm new

Flyingsnake
6th Jul 2005, 19:05
hello everyone, im new here nice forum. By the way please go easy on me if I say something stupid as I am only 15 and been flying a few weeks.
I have been learning on a cessna 152. I was wandering what the chord angle was all about and if it was particualy important, whiel reading through a technical plane manual it got to it and i just couldnt work out what it was. Thanks in advance.:O :O

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Jul 2005, 20:32
Flying Snake,

First of all welcome, and secondly, there is no such thing as a stupid question, if in doubt, ask :D.

I must admit, I am not sure where you have got the term chord angle from, however, I would make the assumption that you are talking about the chord line.

The chord line, is an imaginary line that joins the leading edge of the aerofoil to the trailing edge. Look at page 17 in the Thom manual and it shows you a pictorial view of it. Also note, that if you put the flaps down or lowered an aileron, the chord line will change.

As you read on, you will realise the importance of the chord line, with respect to angle of attack (the angle between the chord line and the relative airflow), this becomes important when understanding the stall. Perhaps this is what you mean when you make reference to the chord line angle?

Hope that helps, all the best.

Flyingsnake
6th Jul 2005, 21:00
you hit the nail on the head my freind, yes i ment the chord line, whoopsie doodle my bad