PDA

View Full Version : GPS systems

crewmeal
6th Jul 2005, 18:49
Thinking about buying a flexible GPS system for the car, plane and train. Anyone know a good system that is flexable, fairly cheap and can hold a good battery life.

Had a demo with a tomtom and seems the best compared with a PDA which look so complicated to use.

Memetic
6th Jul 2005, 20:02
The Bluetooth GPS I just recieved as a gift is very flexible, as it can so easily be used ithe a mobile phone or laptop. It's an "ezGPS" it came via eBay I belive.

spannersatcx
6th Jul 2005, 21:32
Have a look here (http://pocketgpsworld.com/index.php) plenty of reviews and forums.

N5528P
7th Jul 2005, 07:15
Thinking about buying a flexible GPS system for the car, plane and train. Anyone know a good system that is flexable, fairly cheap and can hold a good battery life.

Since you want to use your GPS for different purposes, I think you shoudl go for a system on a small tablet pc or palm. Specific GPS - receivers will limit you most of the time. Take an aviation - specific for example: Most likely you will have all the frequencies and airspaces boundaries in the system, things you do not need in your car.

On the other hand - if you are on the highway, you perhaps wnt the GPS to find driving routes - a thing many aviation style receivers can't do.

Something on a tablet or palm is simply more flexible....
Furthermore, you can import any map you have, even if it is only a picture, which could save a lot of money...

Regards, Bernhard

gizmocat
7th Jul 2005, 14:14
The Garmin Quest is a very capable bit of kit for use on the ground / at sea. Mine has got me out of a lot of trouble recently.

swordfling
7th Jul 2005, 23:58
I've been looking for something similar recently. The Garmin GPSMAP 96 / 96C looks interesting - it is designed for aviation, sailing and driving and allows you to load appropriate maps/charts for each use. Garmin claim battery life is up to 40 hrs in battery save mode. Approx. £420 inc. VAT.

Full details here (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap96c/).

Anyone used one of these?

whiz
8th Jul 2005, 09:03
Thinking about buying a flexible GPS system for the car, plane and train

Id love to hear the posh bird instructing you to take the next left when you're onboard a train. :D Possibly a really dull question, but why the hell do you need GPS on a train ??

The Real Slim Shady
8th Jul 2005, 09:31
If it's on GNER it's to calculate when you get to your destination;)

My chum has a Garmin standalone unit.....think it is a MApquest or the like...anyway he has to use it powered from the cigarette lighter in his car, but it is quick to start up, easy to read and navigate via a large screen and can be shoeved into his flightcase when he leaves the car.

I've been considering the Navman 510, which is battery as weel as DC powered. Price about £350 at LHR.

Anyone got one and care to comment on it?