PDA

View Full Version : Tech Questions

shnee
5th Jul 2005, 11:30
G'day all,
I have got two questions for you all.
the first one is.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of jet A1 over avgas?

If you are going to fly a jet aircraft from A to B how would you go about doing so?

As you can all probley see I don't fly a jet or a turbo-prop, so every bit will help.

Regards,
Shnee.

Rainboe
5th Jul 2005, 11:34
1- One is for jets
2- You are kidding aren't you? There are books that describe the process. Couldn't you be bothered to get one and sit down and read it?

dwshimoda
5th Jul 2005, 12:11
I'm hoping you're having a laugh!

A) One is a refined form of petrol usually for psiton engines. The other is like diesel / kerosene usually for jets (though also used on some new aircraft engines)

B) ???? how do you think you'd do it?

(BTW both a jet and a turbo prop would use Jet-A1)

punkalouver
6th Jul 2005, 01:01
I believe jet fuel is less expensive in most locations and has wider availability in remote locations. Jet fuel seems to be more susceptible to entrained water. Being more dense than avgas, it will take longer for water to settle out of jet fuel. Micro organisms that can cause fuel tank damage is more likely in jet fuel aircraft.
A jet fuel powered aircraft has the advantage that misfueling with avgas will not likely cause an accident unlike an avgas aircraft.

Old Smokey
7th Jul 2005, 15:24
Turbine engines will run on almost anything, so why kerosene?

Because Kerosene has a higher calorific value than the lighter grades of fuels in the Methane Hydro-Carbon series. Per unit of weight or volume, Kerosene gives you more bang for your bucks.

It's safer too.

Regards,

Old Smokey