PDA

View Full Version : Frankfurt & Chinese Airline

African Tech Rep
4th Jul 2005, 22:37
Hi

I came across this in a local mag - then looked it up on the net http://toomuchfs.com.

If the link don't work it's about a Chinese aircraft diverting to Frankfurt for fuel and then getting grounded cause one of the engines was U/S and to stop it windmilling they "locked" the fan with seat belts.

If anyone knows plane / airline - I'd love to know.

Cheers

mini
5th Jul 2005, 00:13
A mate of mine (a/c engineer) sent me the pics & story a few weeks ago, its a spoof.

non sched
5th Jul 2005, 00:23
If it's a spoof it's news to me. This is a fairly old story going back to last year I believe. I saw pics then and it was widely reported. If you have proof it was a spoof could you provide it? Thanks

HotDog
5th Jul 2005, 00:43
It was a spoof, the fan was locked with webbing after the damaged engine was changed and prepared for transportation to engine overhaul. If you still have the picture, you will see it's on a transportation cradle and not on a wing. There was an official denial of the claim but I don't have it any more.

N5528P
5th Jul 2005, 06:03
It was a spoof, the fan was locked with webbing after the damaged engine was changed and prepared for transportation to engine overhaul. If you still have the picture, you will see it's on a transportation cradle and not on a wing

I should have them somewhere on my hard disc....
:confused:

I remember I got the pics some years ago, but did not look that thorough. Still, a nice idea for some pictures during a broing night watch. :ok:

Regards, Bernhard

wonderbusdriver
5th Jul 2005, 18:06
NOT CHINESE!
Was a B742 of the now defunct Tower Air as far as I rememeber, a few years ago.
Saw pics taken by our mechs in FRA, who couldn´t believe their eyes, when they saw it. Fanblade fixed into position with seatbelts.
They were on their way back home...Not sure if they had operated as a revenue flt in this configuration.

Old news.

African Tech Rep
5th Jul 2005, 21:32
Thank you all

Seems it takes a while for SA mags to catch up.

And I suppose it doesn’t help that I would belive this is the sort of thing some Chinese airlines would do - based on experience NOT prejudice